Will J36 [DCC Fitted] run on DC

RB51

It might!

It depends on whether dc running has been disabled in the decoder.

IF it runs, you probably won't get many sounds from it. To run DCC you need a totally different kind of controller, but that new controller would quickly destroy all your old dc loco motors.

There may be other problems as well, which have been covered multiple times on here and the DCC threads.

If it's fitted with TTS sound, there will be no sound from it until it is run from a DCC controller.  Many other makes of sound decoder can produce sound on dc (analogue) but not TTS decoders. 

DCC can cause overheating and burn out motors if they are not fitted with a DCC decoder.

From what you said it is dcc fitted, it is really only TTS decoders where the DC gets disabled, so yes it should run on a dc supply. That in fact is one of the tests I do when I fit DCC. The most important bit though is the controller that you use to generate the dc. If it is the old sort like the old Triang ones or H and M type that we used to use in the past, there is a fair chance it will blow up your DCC chip, note I am talking from experience. The regulalation in these is not good enough, although they are supposedly 12 v output, you can get peaks of 18 volts which kills your average Hornby DCC decoder and many more other makes. So if your controller is the modern type, lets say taken from a Hornby trainset, then no issue. Hope that helps.

hi im new back to model railways for 40 years, i have a oo gauge track all old trains run on track just brought a hornby j36 class Maude ddc fitted should this work on same power supply track 

any help appreciated

Do they, but he is talking about something a bit older, so I assume it still works. I must admit I have stopped using Hornby R8249s, I tend to use Zimos, they are slighly more expensive and less prone to failing. I must admit I used to think decoders were all about the same until I had a loco with dodgy pickups ( I had to make my own as I couldn't get replacements). With the Zimo it behaved faultlessly, with two of the other types it stopped and started and hardly worked. There seems to be a diffence in how they handle missing signals.

From what you said it is dcc fitted, it is really only TTS decoders where the DC gets disabled, so yes it should run on a dc supply. That in fact is one of the tests I do when I fit DCC. The most important bit though is the controller that you use to generate the dc. If it is the old sort like the old Triang ones or H and M type that we used to use in the past, there is a fair chance it will blow up your DCC chip, note I am talking from experience. The regulalation in these is not good enough, although they are supposedly 12 v output, you can get peaks of 18 volts which kills your average Hornby DCC decoder and many more other makes. So if your controller is the modern type, lets say taken from a Hornby trainset, then no issue. Hope that helps.

@Scoobytrain

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

PS  - You've wasted your 2nd newbie post now and won't be able to post again for 24 hours.

Despite what may printed on the box with regard DC Analogue compatibility. It has come to light in recent weeks that brand new batches of locos with factory fitted TTS decoders are leaving the Hornby factory with 'DC Operation' disabled. It is believed that this change of Hornby policy (not updated on printed packaging) has been implemented to combat the undesirable phenomenon termed 'DC Runaway' which these TTS decoders seem to exhibit on DCC powered layouts.

To enable 'DC Operation' you need a DCC Controller that can amend the value of CV29. If you cannot access a suitable controller, then you may have to return it to the seller and ask the seller to enable 'DC Operation' for you [assuming the seller has that capability within their organisation .. like a shop with a decoder fitting workshop for example].