Supplied Speakers

ColinB

This is not a criticism, I am just trying to get some info. Someone asked me to fit an expensive sound unit into a Bachmann Standard Class 4mt tank loco. I fitted it which is not an easy job, especially since I am not into cutting models about, but the supplied speaker sounded dreadful. In fact it sounded worse than a TTS decoder standard loud speaker. Initially I thought there was something wrong with the decoder, then I started changing speakers and it then sounded ok. I then noticed these bits of plastic supplied with the unit to build your own enclosure (no instructions with the unit so I assumed that is what they were for) so I built the enclosure and yes the sound improved considerably. I don't think it is as good as a standard sugar cube with the sound enclosure ready made. The unit is not a Zimo so you can probaby guess the Supplier, I wondered is it just a bad speaker or are they all like that. I probably will replace it with a sugar cube from YouChoos, but I just wondered if I am missing something. Everybody raves about these units, so do they use the speaker supplied?

This one is V5 micro, the speaker has ESU stamped on the end part enclosure you make up.  I tried one of my large sugar cubes I bought off YouChoos and yes it sounded an awful lot better, but obviously doesn't fit in the space. Even with the cheap speaker it sounded a lot better with the body on. YouChoos do some rounded top ones which I think will fit in the space better, so hopefully that will correct the issue. I must admit I use Zimo or Hornby TTS, both of which I am quite happy with.

If all else fails ‘read’ the instructions or in this case watch the ESU video.

I thought everyone knew that to make any speaker work efficiently and produce the best possible audio it had to be mounted in an enclosure that isolates the front of the diaphragm from the back. Any holes for wires should also be sealed. They even do it in the cheapest cars.

These links show you more info about the ESU single and double speaker enclosure kits...

http://www.esu.eu/en/products/accessories/loudspeakers/modular-speaker-baffle-set-for-a-single-sugar-cube-speaker/

http://www.esu.eu/en/products/accessories/loudspeakers/modular-twin-speaker-baffle-set-for-sugar-cube-speakers/

In the cars they use the door skin. Even without an enclosure it should sound reasonable, the enclosure normally gives you more base. The Hornby one sounds ok without an enclosure and I suspect they are pretty cheap. I just thought for the price the guy paid it would sound ok. This one sounds like one of those ceramic buzzers and yes once I realised that is what the bits were for it took me very little time to make. I assume you can make it as large or small dependending on the size of space you have but it will never be as good as one you buy already sealed.

If you are referring to Loksound, my experience has been different. All my sound locos are Loksound, either V3.5 or V4 and sound great.

AFAIK, Loksound themselves do not supply any speaker with the decoder. But they do sell them separately. So I assume that the speaker in this instance was provided & chosen by the seller (retailer) of the decoder. So the quality of the speaker is therefore somewhat debatable, the seller might have just thrown in the cheapest they could source.

My car has a factory fitted 825 watt Meridian 'surround sound' system with 17 speakers. The reason for the odd number of speakers is that the 17th speaker is a 'Sub Woofer' mounted in an enclosure under the drivers seat. The other 16 speakers are mounted all over the place, only 8 of which are in doors. So I assume that at least some of them have their own enclosures.

So I suppose it depends on the car and brand / model in question as to how basic or not the car speaker installations are.

Similarly, decoder speakers will be a variable in terms of quality versus cost and more importantly the method of installation.

Extract from the original car 'sales brochure'.

/media/tinymce_upload/bb0427714c8bf1d1532eb3039ab166f8.jpg

Unfortunately, as you are always telling me, that doesn't answer my initial question. If I want to know about reflected waves and audio I could have asked my friend who seems to have spent a lifetime researching it. I could even searched through the loft for my degree notes, I am sure we must have covered it, but that is not what I am interested in. My initial question was anyone had issues with the supplied speaker, if you look on EBay it appears to be supplied with all the Loksound kits available on there.