Split chassis - Bachmann - replacement isolators.

atom3624

Not Hornby - my apologies.

Plenty of learned and highly experienced modellers and collectors on this forum, so would like to request ideas.

I've owned quite a few 'split chassis' Bachmann chassis locomotives in the last few years, still have a couple, but have just won one I was after for a while - but the front driver pair is loose - observed when 'battery testing' on my desk at work.

I've read some have resolved using Superglue - might be true. Superglue is very strong but can be brittle under continued stress and strain as may be encountered.

I think I read some people manufacture replacements - anyone know who / where?

This is in the event the Superglue doesn't hold.

Thanks,

Al.

Hi Heiter, Jenni's received my email, just waiting.

I've seen many have received directly from Bachmann, but none have been too recent.

Thanks for your reply.

It might be an easy fix, without having to replace the 'isolator', but having seen some of the gruesome photos posted on the internet, I'm not holding up much hope.

Looking at the destructions, the middle axle's driven and both middle and rear appear OK - it's the front, which seems to be quite easily accessed - just a couple of coupling rod screws ... I'll see.

Al.

I obtained replacements from Bachmann when I was converting miy A4s to DCC. I am sure it was in the last year. The one at the rear I replaced with a nylon screw, square nut and nylon washer as to me a self tapper didn't seem strong enough. 

That's right, but thanks for following up anyway.

Back home, the centre and back axle isolator / separator thingy bobs are visually fatigued but in one piece, the front one split in 2.

I have managed to re-align, get a cable-tie around it, 'fill' with Superglue - no idea how much - and pull tight, then replace the other side.

All appears aligned, cable-tie was pulled tight, left 5 minutes, removed (just!), spacing reset B2B 14.5mm, now it's just 'setting hard'.

I've cleaned off some of the excess glue off the axle, and will complete once all is set / hard.

Still waiting on Jenni of Bachmann to get back to me - doubtless I'll purchase a few centres ...

Hopefully the alignment will be OK - and I've not lost anything!!

Al.

No problem.

The rear axle required 'gluing' as well.

Alignment seemed OK, but quartering is probably out - not running as smoothly as it should.

I've accepted this for what it is, as a 'project' so need to presevere - and with a little patience, not rushing into it.

Will advise of any positive updates.

Al.

I have managed to sort out one of my split chassis Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2Ts by replacing the outer plastic axles/bearings . I obtained two sets a few years ago from Bachmann. I had to glue the stub axles on the wheels though and used a tiny amout of araldaite, as the wheels were just popping out without the glue. The loco now runs very well again. It is the old version with pick-ups to the front pony truck - and I recal was a revelation at the time as the eight pick-ups and the heavy chassis mde for excellent running.

However, my other Ivatt 2-6-2 tank is still wobbling even after replacing the bearings and I suspect it is the valve gear that might be distorted, so have e-mailed Bachmann to see if valve gear sets are available.    

Good luck to us both.

I've always found their Customer Services to be pretty decent, helping wherever they can.

I've an Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2 tank - fantastic runner, so I must be one of the fortunate ones - that's one of a few split chassis locos I have.

As you say, it's a decent weight - mine's very smooth running.

I hope to keep things moving on the B1 - gave the seller a request to make a gesture and did say I'll keep as a project - no reason to lie as I intend to keep it.

No reply and totally ignored - all I wanted was £5. What a gent!

Al.