Southeastern 395 Javelin

MattA

Hi i wonder if someone can point me the right way. I have the hornby selet and also the 395 javelin the problem is i cant get it up to any great speed i have  it with a loco address and the control knob right round full is there something i am doing wrong i am only new sstarting up

I have an Elite and with my Javelin it goes at a reasonable speed. I cannot remember if it has traction tyres, if it does that is the first thing to check. I know with my Pendolino that was an issue. If the traction tyres are slipping it will have a high pitched screeching noise.

Check that all non-powered wheelsets are free-running - if any are not, they will be slowing the unit.  Also check the traction tyres are not glazed - if they are, they will not grip the rail surface as well as they should, again potentially reducing speed.

I just bought the 395 javelin new and its the first time i have used it i let the driving loco go round its self for about ten minutes and it wasnt going at a great speed. Certainly the tyres on the driving locomotive are more of a shine than of the dummy locomotive . I tried it on a small incline and i just wont pull the two carirages up can anyone help  and can anyone tell me how to set the speed on the select

Hi i have just looked and none of the two locomotives have tyres i have been running the driving loco forward and reverse on its own and it isnt going at a great pace i have a small incline on to the hornby suspension bridge and i know if i was to put any carriages it wouldn't get them on to the bridge. I have looked at the manual to set for acceleration and i dont know if i am doing it right what i do is press select put in my loco's address which is 6 the press the arrow for going forward then it reads AC then it tells me to enter a new value between 0-99 i press 1 and then select and then turn the control knob and i pick up the pace right away but having seen the 395 javelin running on you  tue i think it is only runnin g at half pace can work out whats happening thank you 

Sorry i have just started up i dont understand i have put a R8249 decoder into the diving loco is that wrong the type of loco i would have thought it would be able to pull 2 carriages and a dummy loco on to the suspension bridge which makes me think it isn't going at its top speed

If the drive unit does not have traction tyres, the wheels are metal-on-metal contact with the rail surface and therefore have much reduced grip to propel the train.  Rather like driving a car on ice.  How long is the length of track taking the train from baseboard level up to the suspension bridge?  

If you have at least 8ft of track as the incline to the bridge, the 4-car unit should be capable of getting up that gradient, but without traction tyres the wheels will not have enough grip and will slip.  You say the unit was purchased new: if it does not have traction tyres, check the instruction manual that came with it to check that it should have them and if that is confirmed, contact the seller to put matters right (exchange or refund). 

What might be a good idea is to revert to dc and see if you still have the issue, but I doubt it. I know it is a pain to get to the DCC connector without breaking the coach end bits. Looking at the service sheet it has two traction tyres. They may have degraded, my Pendolino ones did, I had only used it when I first bought it and two years later after being stored, they were shot. As I say you should hear the wheels slipping, just watch the wheels as it goes up the incline you will see if it is slipping. The decoder should not make any difference to top speed although I did have a LaisDCC one that did, but that was well faulty and it wasn't Hornby. I eventually used it as a pure light switch in a DMU dummy end.  You do know you need two decoders one for the main loco and the other to just control the lights in the dummy unit. What you could also do is remove the capacitor across the motor that sometimes gives issues. In my experience Hornby decoders either work or basically burn out if there is something wrong, so I suspect yours is working ok.

These units don't weigh much, so the traction tyres are critical to their operation.

Guys thanks for your comments its frustating i looking at it and it says highspeed on the carriages last a laugh. My wife bought me a great set from jadlam it is the h12 kit and i just keep adding to it i watch a youtube video of the javelin 395 and he had it at different speeds his top speed was fast thats whats annoying me that it can do it its just finding how to do it Lol. The javelin doesn't have tyres do you think that getting tyres would be a great help ? and if so do you know where to get them.  😢

Traction tyres can only be used on wheels that have grooves cut into them for the tyres to fit into, you can't simply add them to other wheels that are not already grooved.  If you aren't happy with it i would return it for repair or refund.

I am expecting delivery of the analogue Class 395 Intercity train-set tomorrow for test purposes, so I will check for traction tyres and see how it performs on straight DC. If time permits I will compare performance with my analogue Blue Rapier converted to DCC, then enable DC running and re-compare. If I get the chance I will fit a basic R8249 to the Intercity and see how it goes then.

Sorry i have just started up i dont understand i have put a R8249 decoder into the diving loco is that wrong the type of loco i would have thought it would be able to pull 2 carriages and a dummy loco on to the suspension bridge which makes me think it isn't going at its top speed

If it is possible with your select ,set CV 10 to a value of 1disabling back emf motor control .

Jane said and I quote "If it is possible with your Select."

Only Selects with version 1.6 or version 2.0 firmware can write a numerical value to CV10.

The current installed firmware is displayed as the very first number to briefly appear on the Select screen as it is being powered up. Expect to see a number between 10 and 20. At the time of writing, the latest version is 1.6 [16] or 2.0 [20] - both the same. These latest versions completely transform the user experience of the Select controller and add the ability to write (not read) all CVs up to CV255. As well as access to the full F0 - F28 range of functions.

The upgrade charge is typically £15 plus VAT [£18] plus your sending postage costs. You need to get a 'returns number' from Hornby Customer Services - see 'Contact Us' link at the very bottom of the page.

If you do arrange to get your Select firmware upgraded, then you will need both the Select version 1.5 full manual and the version 1.6 addendum manual. As the operation of your Select (how to use it) will be completely different in certain areas of operation compared to your current firmware version.

You can download these two manual PDFs from here:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/12/

If nothing appears to happen, check your nominated browser download folder for the files as they can download silently in the background.

How do I go about setting my select to CV10 to a value of 1

Once you have suitable Select firmware installed. How is described in the Select 1.6 Addendum manual that can be downloaded on the link I gave above.

I am expecting delivery of the analogue Class 395 Intercity train-set tomorrow for test purposes,...

Unfortunately for this thread I received R1237 0-4-0 loco’d Night Mail set in lieu, so I am unable to help further.