Change Nem Couplings

DJS-2007

Hi Guys I have an A1 Flying Scotsman and the fish tail broke off it. I tried to stick the fish tail and the pocket back together in that small groove but it just made the fishtail stick. So I have no other choice but to change the couplings. I don't mind what brand I buy because I just realised any brand is compatible as long as its 00 gauge. Please could you explain how to replace the coupling with another one. I have marked on the photo (the link below) where the fishtail is in the groove.  Also, could you please give me any coupling product that goes best with the A1 flying Scotsman. Please don't suggest the NEM pockets and couplings as they are sold out everywhere and please try and suggest a coupling that isn't too difficult to attach. 

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0n98eAk_avjhz70Cp4mkcSbJw

Thank You Guys 

Just to make it easier for others to assess the question. I have posted a 'blow up' of the linked photo below:

/media/tinymce_upload/ad35245c89612d526a82dbc291ec3272.jpg

I appreciate that you are only 13 years old [from posting history], but it does look as if you have completely knackered the tender chassis moulding.

If you look a lot closer at the coupling you will see that you can lever out the remanents of the coupling the triangle shaped bit. You may not realise but that triangle bit is part of the NEM pocket Replace it with a new NEM pocket then you can use any sort of couplings that fit in the NEM pocket. I tried the Hunt magnetic couplings, they seem reasonably good, or you could convert to the old Hornby/ Triange type. They all fit into the NEM pocket.

I read the original post to say that the fishtail had ended up being glued in to the mounting.  The ability to prise it out will depend upon the type of glue used.  Nothing to be lost by trying (carefully) as most glues do not bond particularly well to Hornby plastic), the only other option would be to replace the complete tender chassis frame.

The NEM pocket that Colin is referring to is X6354 and is 'In Stock' HERE. Subject to the triangular remnant being removable from the chassis without further damage to the surrounding plastic. You may be able to drill out the bulk of the remnant carefully with a 1mm drill, then a 'watch maker's' screwdriver to prise out what is left.

Note that the triangular part of the replacement X6354 is 'chamfered' and goes in one way round. If it is inserted in reverse, it will fit, but be loose and keep falling out.

/media/tinymce_upload/bfe7b7362136a1d96e1324ab615823e8.jpg

If the original NEM pocket mounting moulding is too far gone, then replacing the chassis part is a viable option.

There are possibly two potential types of Flying Scotsman tenders that have NEM pockets. The easiest way to tell them apart is that one of them has four wires that go between the loco and tender using a white four way plug and socket. The other tender type does not.

The first service sheet extract below is for the version that does have the four wires between tender and loco.

/media/tinymce_upload/f0096d4b0b6449247bc87dd3280f0383.jpg

Compare your loco tender parts against the drawing. Either part number 13 [X6213] has the NEM mounting moulding OR part number 14 [X6363 or X6212] has the NEM pocket mounting moulding.

This second service sheet extract below is for the version that does not have the four wires between tender and loco.

/media/tinymce_upload/c80c5ac34ff38406fdad2f8b34d480c6.jpg

Compare your loco tender parts against the drawing. Either part number 12 [X6875] has the NEM mounting moulding OR part number 14 [X6877] has the NEM pocket mounting moulding.

Once you have identified which of those four potential parts is correct for your loco. Then click the appropriate Xnumber link in the text above to go to where you can purchase one as a spare.

I find the tip of a Swann&Moreton 10A scalple good for prizing these out. As they are very sharp and have a fine point you might also be able to use them to carve out the old dovetail if the glue holds it firm.

Coincidently I have just done broken a pocket on a bachmann wagon and need to trplace one of those once the spares arive in the post.