Elink will not connect with windows 10

I have just purchased the elink and railmaster combo. I am using a Dell Optiplex 7010 PC running Windows 10. I cannot get the PC to connect to the elink. I have followed all the help and settings and all is correct.

I have changed the ini file as from one of your other forum questions. Because there is no link I cannot update the elink firmware. I think it is version 1.07.I have downloaded and updated all the software for the Dell PC.

I have tried 3 different cables and used different USB ports, but nothing works.

Also I have used a select controller and this worked OK. Could there be a problem with the elink?

I would appreciate help with this as I am now stumped.

I have followed all the help and settings and all is correct.

I mean absolutely no disrespect. This comment is only a desire to help. But the number of times users have said I have followed guidance and it doesn't work, only to then find out that they missed a crucial step or did something else incorrectly.

Please give an overview of exactly what 'help and settings' you have followed, so that we can decide if what you have done is correct. If you have followed guidance from other forum threads, provide a link to them so that they can be reviewed.

1. What exactly are your observed symptoms?
  2. What error messages do you see? if any.
  3. What text is being displayed in Windows 10 'Device Manager' for the eLink driver entry [this is very important to answer]? If it says 'CDC RS232 Emulation' then this is an indication that the eLink driver is not installed correctly yet.
  4. Did you install RailMaster by 'right clicking' the installer and choosing the 'Run as administrator' option.
  5. Have you got to the 'key activation' stage yet. Hopefully not, but if you have, did it activate successfully? Personally, I wouldn't use the activation key until you have got a basic working system first.

If we are being really honest, if everything has been done correctly, then it would be working and you wouldn't be raising this query. Granted, there is always a possibility that you have indeed being doing everything 100% correctly and that your eLink is just plain faulty .... a faulty eLink is not unknown on the forum.

But there just isn't enough detailed information given by you in your query to make an informed judgement call. Much more detail is required to resolve potential 'RailMaster software issues'.

Some screen shots of your system will really help a lot and save a lot of further request for clarification questions being asked of you.

• Screen shot of your Windows 10 'Device Manager' screen showing the eLink driver entry.
  • Screen shot of the 'System Settings' screen in RailMaster.
  • Screen shot (or pasted text) of your 'railmaster.ini' file.

Read TIP8 (follow link below) with regard the supported method for posting images. Note that in the current Covid situation, approval of your images by Hornby administration staff might take several days. You might be better uploading your screen shots to an image hosting site and providing links to them in your reply.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Thanks for the quick response. Sorry for being so vague, I will now go through every thing I have done:

On installing railmaster the first thing was that I had no chance of the trial, the software told me to activate right away. This I did and it activated OK. 

I selected yes to overide the windows security. I then followed the instructions with the software and had the error that the software could not connect to the elink. Checking the railmaster help file , I then checked the com port which was set ot 3 and then checked it was correct in railmaster and changed the speed to 115200. I tried at least 3 different USB cables and all the 4 USB sockets. 

One thing that has been the same all the time is that in the device manager 'other devices' shows 'unknown device'. This has not changed. The Ports USB serial port(com3) shows it is working correctly.

I always run railmaster using the 'run as administrator'

On checking some of the posts on the forum I tried some of your suggestions:

In the railmaster .ini file.

1. check the 'restart elink on start =0'

2. Move 'Alternative comms' and 'Check controller' to the last lines of the file and set to '1'.

I tried to upgrade the firmwire but again the error showed that it could not connect to the elink.

I hope this is enough info, I have added 5 images, the best way that I could. If you require anything else please let me know.

Peter

/media/tinymce_upload/ae237b63fde28ca0e0c5524b0473d9dc.png/media/tinymce_upload/313494e831a8fca0f6d33860f6ae016b.png/media/tinymce_upload/4d8a71f0f0e56326908501a5a9532110.png/media/tinymce_upload/dd012ca846aee8affc9d7508e4cabde2.png/media/tinymce_upload/227eccb31d32143afabd05c533974bfd.jpg

This seems to be the exact same situation that the user in my last reply above experienced. I cannot see anything wrong in your screen shots. The screen shot of the RM System Settings is not indicating a communications error as the 'Hornby eLink' text displayed against 'Controller A' does not have a pink background which would be a communication error indicator.

It does 'at face value' look like you have a faulty eLink. I suggest contacting Hornby Customer Services (by phone not email) and discuss having the eLink tested and repaired if proven faulty.

Customer services are at present operating restricted open hours ... see the 'Contact Us' link at the very bottom of the page to see details.