Dead Duchess of Abercorn!

Mikelade

I have a dead engine! 
The drive unit is the the tender but I cant see how to take the tender apart to get at the drive unit without breaking the plastic?

6 wheels on the tender. centre pair (3 and4) free wheel. Wheels 1 and 2 as well as 5 and 6 seem to be the pick up and drive with the gearing. Wheels 1 and 5 have rubber tyres to insulate from the track.

If I get the top off the drive tender - what should I like for to mend it?

Whilst you wait for a reply, perhaps you would spend a few minutes reviewing the TIPs in the TIP page link below:

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Hi.

Generally, there are two methods of removing most Hornby Tender Drive tender bodies.

One is squeezing by hand the front and the back of the tender. This causes the sides to bow out slightly, releasing the two clips on each side.

The other method involves a flat blade screwdriver, as in this illustration...

/media/tinymce_upload/b1250c910e68f22deff8403dfc8ac59e.JPG

The above is from the instruction sheet supplied with Hornby Railways locos, and shews some maintenance procedures.

The Service Sheet for the locomotive and tender shews most of the parts.

/media/tinymce_upload/611f0becd1f43606738ee004e6f60b98.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/41b24be03339843a7b767623d4727a9e.JPG

These locomotives pick up on one side of the locomotive, the same side as the  rubber traction tyres on the tender. This is supplied via the loco to tender drawbar via two brass wipers to the tender pin.

The tender wheels without tyres are the other pick ups.

The tender will not run on the track unless it is connected to the loco on the track.

I have one of these, in fact I have just converted it to a 5 pole motor and DCC (I got bored during lockdown and Peters Spares were doing "Gordon" five pole units). The tender should just unclip from the base, no screws. You might need to use a knife down one side between the tender top (coloured plastic and bottom which is black plastic) to get it to unclip, unless someone has glued it because it was always falling off (they usually are so loose they just fall off).

As for the drive it can be loads of things the favorite is the either the motor brushes, armature or the little brass gear has become loos on the motor shaft. Either way it is generally fixable, Lendons has replaceable armatures.

I believe Duchess of Abercorn is actually covered by service sheet 111, not that that detracts in any meaningful sense from Sarah's typically comprehensive reply other than the tender drive unit has individual removeable weights and fold-over rather than screw-on brush arms (as per service sheet 104).  One word of caution: if removing the locomotive metal chassis bottom, be extremely careful as these are notorious for disintegrating if disturbed and replacements are extremely difficult to obtain.