LMS Coronation Stuttering Backwards on Latest Select

Guest Chrissaf

Hi, I have a similar problem but only since I converted an LMS Coronation class (tender driven) to DCC. It stutters backwards and I have a new digital controller (it goes 10 20 when it starts up). 

I also have EO appear when small locos cross points at low speeds. 

Ok, it probably is the Select but I had a similar issue with my Bachmann G2A where it stuttered at low speed. In the case of the G2A it was the Bachmann decoder that was the issue and this was not the only decoder where I have noticed issues. I have also noticed certain decoders are better at coping with dirty track and slow speed running. I don't want to list them as some people probably like them, but sometimes it is a good idea to try a different make of decoder and see if the issue disappears. It is funny that some Bachmann decoders are ok, it just seems to be some of the early ones. The G2A actually came with it, you would have thought they would have noticed. I did put a post about issues with another Bachmann decoder where it stuttered and buzzed (again a very early one) but that eventually failed big time, so perhaps it always had a fault.

Colin, if you look at ChrisBeading's posting history you will see he is using Hornby track products. One of his previous posts infers that some of his Hornby points might possibly be the earlier 'steel rail' type as well. But his track plan also shows R8073 NS points. Of course, what the track plan shows and what is actually installed may be two different things, but Peco Electrofrogs do not adopt Hornby point geometry, so unlikely.

Hi,

Thanks for your advice everybody; its really appreciated.

I think I've found the error happens due to a short when the loco goes over the points.  I've seen a mod that someone has suggested about adding some extra insulation with very thin plasticard just before the frogs.  That might help and I would probably try it on some older steel points as a trial first.

I think I'm going to slowly but surely change my steel points to nickel-silver.

I assume this thread is transferred from another one, where it does.

No it doesn't give any indication in the thread his post was moved from.

When a forum member only has a very small number of posts. In this case Chris has only got a post count of 10 at time of writing, then clicking his 'user name' lists ALL his previous posts in chronological order. In this case it is then easy to see the information I wrote in my last reply. Which is where I got it from.

I only highlighted the information to save you time waiting for him to reply to your question.

Funny, I had virtually the same issue with Peco Electrofrogs. On those, the fix was to isolate the frog and power it separately. It must be something about the spacing of Rinfield based locos tender wheels. It initially did it on a Railroad Mallard which basically has a Ringfield motor tender but with no motor, and a Bachmann Class 47 loco. By the time I had converted my ringfield motor locos, I had put the fix in.

The stuttering problem is unlikely to be the Select if it only happens in one direction. More likely to be a wheel wiper not tracking properly in both directions or maybe the motor torquing out of mesh in reverse causing the gear train to bind, then release, etc.

I had issues with a tender driven loco when the flexible magnet wasn't in the right position. In my case I had taken it out to drill out the brush holder screw and I got its orientation wrong when I replaced it. Ran perfectly one way, rubbish the other way. Just an idea.