Certain locos juddering at slow speeds

Rilo

Good evening, 

ive recently had a trouble britannia class loco with sound decoders not working, but standard decoders or dc running working fine, the only issue is At about 1/4 to 1/3 speed the look judders and makes a strange grinding noise.

it doesn't do this at higher speeds, just at this setting. I also have a black KI class that makes a weird clicking noise as if something is catching. It's lick a clock clicking noise? 

wonder if anyone could help at all, thanks.

I don't know if this is related. I had a lot of issues with my Britannia pickups, I have 3 of them, one of them is ok the other two are always having issues with pickups. The TTS Decoders seem to be very susceptical to poor signal, reseting themselves where normal DCC decoders don't, perhaps it is the increased current draw of sound decoders. The clicking is probably the valve gear catching, again 2 of my Brits had this issue, I even had ro replace the valve gear on one as it broke.. I also had an issue where the crown gear on the driving wheel, split, that would definitely make a clicking noise. Needless to say I have had lots of issues with my Britannias, funny the one that is good, the special edition one, I don't seem to have any issues with.

I don't know if this is related. I had a lot of issues with my Britannia pickups, I have 3 of them, one of them is ok the other two are always having issues with pickups. The TTS Decoders seem to be very susceptical to poor signal, reseting themselves where normal DCC decoders don't, perhaps it is the increased current draw of sound decoders. The clicking is probably the valve gear catching, again 2 of my Brits had this issue, I even had ro replace the valve gear on one as it broke.. I also had an issue where the crown gear on the driving wheel, split, that would definitely make a clicking noise. Needless to say I have had lots of issues with my Britannias, funny the one that is good, the special edition one, I don't seem to have any issues with.

These sound like the similar issues I'm having, although after two sound decoders (which I was told, were both faulty) I am thinking it is just the model itself which is the issue, thansk for the feedback I'll have to open her up and take a look.

If they will run on DC, try upending them in a cradle and applying power to the wheels (9 volt battery) and look for anything catching in the valve gear or connecting rods, etc. If nothing apparent then it is a case of body off and look at the gear train. Is it the same or worse in one direction or the other. Could be split gear or slightly loose motor.

You can make a U-shaped cradle from bits of polystyrene packaging or large diam foam pipe insulation.

Yes RAF96 you are right. I am sure when Chris initially said it could be a split gear, I found it had happened on both of the faulty Britannias. It even got to the point where I asked New Modellers whether split gears on this model was an issue. Anzac is a much later model than my two, so I would have thought if they did have an issue with split gears then they would have soughted it. As I said I literally spent hours getting the two to run right and even now, one is not that good. I bought a special editon Britannia in black, second hand, that runs like a dream, so they don't all have issues. The valve gear on this model is pretty complex and very frail.