Analogue or DCC

Rilo

Good morning all,

It may have been asked many times but I would like people's opinions, do you use analogue or DCC and which would you say is better and more reliable?

I am currently running digital, But it's seems to be plagued with problems and I'm strongly debating changing back to analogue....(Mainly locos juddering / or not working with decoders but fine on anologue etc) 

I only have a small 9ft by 5ft single track layout with a fiddle yard, and three platform station. But would like your advice.

Thanks

Hello Rilo

Well I've always stayed with analogue b/c it is cheaper & you don't have to wory about chips or any thing like that - Yes Tech is Great - but when it goes wrong - it goes wrong BIG time!!! That is why I have stayed with analogue!!!

I have been running some DC locos recently and I was pleasantly surprised how quiet they were and slow speed running was very smooth.

The track was laid straight out of the box and no attempt made to clean it and even the brand new 0-4-0 ran over the points and loop to loop without stuttering.

I can’t say the same about my DCC locos, although there are so many advantages with DCC layouts that cannot be easily if ever achieved on DC.

I like DCC because I use a lot of sound. I have found that not all decoders are equal in performance, so be careful which ones you use. I could write a list of the ones I have had issues with, but I probably would get told off, needless to say juddering I have found to be generally due to the DCC decoder. Slow speed movement is better with DCC although DC is a a lot cheaper. 

I started out as DCC from the outset [if you ignore the Triang / Hornby DC Analogue set I had as a child 60 odd years ago]. Frankly, I just do not see any of the issues that I see raised in this forum. None, zero, zilch. I use Peco SL track with power switched Electrofrogs plus a full BUS power implementation complimented with BUS conditioning 'snubbers'. Neither do I use Hornby decoders. I suggest, that these are contributory reasons as to why I do not get plagued with the operational issues that others get. I do however use Hornby Elite and RailMaster as my controller system and have had very few issues with that as a control system. Any issues have mainly been RailMaster bugs, which HRMS have remotely logged onto my system to resolve. As a result, I now operate a policy of not being an 'early adopter' when new RM versions are released.

I run DCC on my layout. I use a mix of track Hornby and Peco  code 100 but all the points are Peco electro frog operated by Seep motors using a home designed control board. Power to the rails is by a buss with droppers from the mid section of each separate piece of track and with snubbers at the end of each section. My locos have a mix of decoders three of which are TTS.  My other sound loco is a Bachmann class 20. This loco I use to test the track as it is good at finding dead spots due to my muck on the rails. 

DCC is for me the way to go as the realism of running multi locos on same track adds something. Careful setup of the decoders pays dividends too. My system is Gaugemaster dcc02. I also converted a Wickham trolley to DCC and with its very small wheels it's a real track tester.

I   am fortunate, in that i have the space to run both.  Having over 100 dc locos, i was happily running them, until a knee problem, prevented me  going upstairs.  So , to cheer me up, my lady wife, bought me the Majestic  DCC set, which we rigged up, downstairs. Some 9 months later, my knee was sorted, enabling a return upstairs. We the, added a tier, to my 9x5, layout, with DCC, on top, and DC, underneath..   Would i have entered the world of DCC, without my medical problem, probably not.   I do, love the sound locos, however, and have recently, entered the world of MTH, locos, which run, happily, with sounds, on both.. If i had to sell anything, it would be my DCC, as,  i also have a Hornby Dublo, 3 rail, layout, and just love the sound over the tin track.    So, my advice, go back to DC, if thats where you were happiest. Much greater selection, secondhand. and no wiring/ decoder, hassles.

Going from dc too dcc on my main, was the best thing i ever done, i'd never go back. Luckly seven trains that i have converted to dcc run well ( touch wood, my head 😆). Though in saying that i do have a smaller track in the roof space dc, for the older trains that will never see dcc by me. 

Having no previous experience of it, I read and researched DCC for the better part of a year, and still found it a steep learning curve in soldering technique, converting non-compatible locos, etc. My layout represents a BR(W) steam shed of the early 'sixties, with 13 points. All the trackwork is PECO Code 75, with PECO point motors and a Gaugemaster CDU. Decoders are a mix of TCS, Digitrax, Bachmann and Hornby TTS, using Digitrax control. I have had the odd niggle (my fault, not the system's) but, like Chrissaf, have never experienced any real problems, and find DCC itself year-round reliable, despite being installed in a garden shed.    

Hi, DCC is absolutely the right way to go. It gives you total flexibility and no hassles. I have not had any issues with Hornby decoders, NONE. I use an Elite and 4 Selects as walkabouts, Hornby power boosters etc, no issues. I do not use power buses, just two wires to the track via a Hornby Power connector.

I strongly recommend you use Hornby point de-isolating clips in all your points so all the track is live all the time.

I am not clear as to what challenges some of the other respondees have faced but of course they have had those experiences.  (I was also a successful Zero One user by the way)

The beauty of DCC is avoiding all those isolating rails, being able to use lights and sounds as you wish, and just being able to operate your layout with total flexibility. regards Nick

My layout is DC operated by a Gaugemaster dual controller with coasting and braking simulation. Hard to beat.

I am in the middle of building a small Hornby trackmat layout. I decided to run it DCC as I have a spare Select controller and some other DCC bits and bobs laying around.

Cripes, fitting those fiddly point clips took me a whole evening with most of them lost forever in the carpet as they pinged all round the room.

As a complete beginner I started off with a DCC set including "Kenilworth Castle". Never a really good runner. Added a few DCC locos, some converted by my local delaler and things ran reasonably. However, there were older models that I fancied which could not be converted easily. Also the cost element made itself felt. After learning DC not as sensitive to dirt etc. as DCC, I started collecting DC locos, including Lima, for which I have a great respect as to Value-for -money.

Being deaf, I don't get the sound benefits of DCC but as I now have over 35 locos I am sticking to having part of my layout as digital with analogue lines for the other 80 + DC locos. So I am covering my bets both ways but prefer the complete simplicity of DC.   Most mornings I press the remote to fire up the analog trains already on the tracks and have things running before I can put my socks on !  Using H&M controllers ensures a good start to the day. 😀

I have tried both.

At the end of the day, for me, DC is just so much easier, runs smoother, I don't have to stuff around pressing countless buttons on a controller that looks, weighs and feels like a cheap plastic toy. Although I'm sure there are DCC controllers out there that are more substantial and of good build quality.

I love my hefty, metal, 'Made in England' Dual DC Gaugemaster. (all 2 kilograms of it). 😀

My personal choice would be for DC rather than DCC this is because I am happy to run an old Triang Princess with its nine inch coaches or a wrenn rebuilt West Country Class Loco as well as todays Merchant Navy Class and Eurostar class and the Triang Transcontinental series from 1955 right up to the 1970.s CP and CN liveried rolling stock

I currently have a strong interest in running locos with working pantographs under a live Catenary wire system,, This can only be done under DC control at present.  I am slowly increasing the the number of locos.  I currently have 4 Transcontinentel double ended electric locos, 5x EM2s, 2x Stepple Cabs, 2x Class 81, 2x Class 86,1x Class 90 and 1x class 91 (All pantographs work.) I have found out that you can run two locos on the one track at the same time each under the control of a controller off the overhead wire. Having read the Dukes blogs about removing a lot of the non required eletrical conponants I might get 1 or 2  EM1s and rewire them to run via the pantographs .

Both DC and DCC have the same things in common both require a lot of planning, preporation, time and patience to get them running right, They also require cleaning and serivicing schedules both track and rolling stock. DCC track and Locos need to be kept a lot cleaner than DC track and Locos

Definitely DCC for me, one lightweight sophisticated controller for 45 locos,  all points fitted with point clips with no heat issues.........12 different makes of decoder all working as expected, lots of sound from TTS, Econami and Loksound........all my locos from Hornby,Bachmann, Dapol, Heljan run smoothly...... 😮 😆............HB

this of course, will run and run.   When i joined many years ago, i started DCC, for medical probs, and raised question of my 100 DC locos.. There was a lovely guy called Graskie, no longer with us. He had a solution.. Sell them all john, and fully commit, he said. With what you get for them, you will be able to buy about 10 DCC new locos, with decent spec..  Thats the nub of it.  If you are just starting up, DCC, may be for some. Tis much more expensive, though. If you are like tony,  wtd, (that was 00, now 0), myself, and a few more, we are too far down the road. To convert, even if we wanted to, would be very costly. To sell up, unthinkable, and many locos, would not convert. Hence, my toe in the water.  At the end of the day, its down to your budget. Mind you, if i guy arrived at the front door, with a load of cash, at 77, i might just bite his hand off.

Mind you, if i guy arrived at the front door, with a load of cash, at 77, i might just bite his hand off.

I'd bite his other hand off too Yelrow, in case he tried to take it back again ;). You where right not too sell your old loco's. I love dcc, but there's no way I'd sell my old dc loco's.

It is very much a personal decision.  I have chosen to go DCC, built two layouts and it has been very easy. I will say do your research first, YouTube has been a valuable resource in this respect, as well as inspiration. One layout has MERG equipment and is a simple Inglenook puzzle. I am having some small issues with reliability,  but this is down to the short wheelbase of the Gronk I am using. Luckily, a new Class 20 replacement should sort this out. I tend to use Zimo chips (non sound), although I do have some TTS for the big boy expresses. Of the 3 fitted, only 1 has been trouble free. I do hope this failure rate is an anomaly and not the norm. My other layout was a goods yard and fiddle yard built to practice track laying and electrics etc. This is run by a Z21 Black, and I use a tablet and a mobile phone as throttles. If someone comes to play, they can download the app and the layout, and use their own phone as a controller. All points are Peco SL, with Seep solenoid motors with DCC Concepts accessory decoders, which are fantastic (now they have stock again). I found it very easy to follow the instructions that come with everything these days. Do read them (I know it's not the man thing to do), it could save you money. This layout is soon to be dismantled, but almost everything will be re-used on my Magnus Opus. My nephew, on the other hand, is going DC, so when we finally start his layout, I am going to have to learn about isolating sections and stuff like that. Whichever way you go, the best of British to you. It's all about enjoyment, and only you will know which way makes you happiest. 

They also require cleaning and serivicing schedules both track and rolling stock. DCC track and Locos need to be kept a lot cleaner than DC track and Locos

I think this is key, cleaning the track used tobe a pig of a chore, till i got my Sharge track cleaner 😆 a few year's ago. Worth the money ten times over. Track going from getting cleaned once a month, too getting clean twice weekly. Oh and i never put a track rubber near the layout.