Analogue or DCC

Rilo

and even gets plug up empty to the frieght  😆

Hi,

What did you mean by the above please?

The Sharge track cleaner is for cleaning track, and you fill it with your favourite track cleaning fluid. I have the Esso one, and it looks that good i sometimes empty it (makes it easier to tow) and pull it along with my other freight. 

I think the decision to adopt DCC or analogue (I use both) will largely depend on what your layout is an how you hope to run it. For example if your layout is a single track branch running on the one engine in steam principle or is divided into blocks then I would say DCC is largely unnecessary since you would not be running two locos in the same section at the same time, and hopefully the number of isolating sections can be easily located and not create too much additional wiring.

However, if you want to operate a significant number of locos in close proximity or have the need for a lot of isolating tracks, then DCC has a real advantage.

For example my 009 section will comprise a single track railway with four independent sections or blocks where only one loco is ever likely to be working at any given time. Consequently having independently controlled locos is not strictly necessary.

My 009 mainline however was a different case. With seven storage loops, a freight only branch and a goods yard that cannot really be operated without trains accessing the mainline, DCC made wiring so much simpler especially since some trains need the services of a Banker. The only downside to DCC is that it has added around £12 per loco 

I'd agree with 81F on this one. When we first started out with OO gauge, we got the Clan Line Pullman DCC trainset with two full loops of track. We also had some of my Dad's trains from the '70s and '80s, most of which we have converted to DCC. Since then, our collection grew and now with a huge setup, it simply wouldn't be sensible to operate it on DC.

I often run double headers or bankers just for the fun if it, but also the two mainline loops are just big enough to run two trains each, so with a watchful eye and Select + Walkabout it's possible to run four trains on two loops.

However, as some have mentioned earlier, DCC does have its problems, such as cost and occasional unreliability. I haven't had much experience with DC, all things considered, but when I set up a simple loop of track for testing or a school fayre or something then even my most unreliable of locos work perfectly.

I'm planning a simple round-the-ceiling layout with a station, which is going to be DC so I don't need to buy another digital controller and also because as it's essentially just a loop, I won't need any complicated loco workings. Generally speaking, it'll be for the smaller engines (0-4-0s, 0-6-0s etc), as most of the trouble I've had on the larger DCC layout are with these.

• 10 months later...
Hi, DCC is absolutely the right way to go. It gives you total flexibility and no hassles. I have not had any issues with Hornby decoders, NONE. I use an Elite and 4 Selects as walkabouts, Hornby power boosters etc, no issues…….regards Nick

That's encouraging news that you’ve been using an Elite with 3 Selects as walkabouts. All the jargon I was reading seemed to indicate only up to and including 3. I’m hoping to use up to 6.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

Since returning to the hobby I decided to go DCC I use Hornby track, mainly Hornby rolling stock (but not exclusively), eLink and RailMaster, various decoders some installed by me and some by the loco supplier, Hornby accessory decoders, and point clips (7 points), my layout is the Hornby oval plus expansion packs A to F. All with no problems.