Aircobra RAF decals

michael turner

The original Airfix Aircobra came with Russian and US decals, I remember it well. I think later releases had the same options. A look on e-bay shows an interesting decal sheet available from the US for about sixteen quid, including P&P.  Its by Euro Decals and has a large number of Aircobra markings, including RAF. British options may not be all that common because I think the aircraft was only used operationally by one squadron.

I built it a few years back. A USAAF New Guinea scheme (white tail) and a rather unusual Russian red star in a ring decal for a second option. Both olive green over medium grey. I remember it going together quite nicely but it needs a bit of weight up front.

If you google "bell airacobra raf" there's a remarkable number of pics and even you tube video. Apart from the individual aircraft codes (and you could print those yourself on a sheet of clear decal film) all you need are generic roundels and the letters UF and the aircraft individual letter. Xtradecal sell sheets of Sky-S letters I use for that sort of job. 

I built my 1/72 Airfix Airacobra as one being flown by 601 Squadron. I used generic roundels etc, and simply added squadron and aircraft code letters from a sheet from Hannants. The only addition was the winged dagger squadron emblem which I printed myself to produce a decal to go on the tail-fin. I seem to recall the only build problems were getting enough weight into the nose to stop it being a tail-sitter and and also remodelling the canopy and cockpit side so that the ‘car-door’ could be open. 

Anyone got any idea why I can't post any images in a reply to this thread. All I get when I try is an error message saying "403 Forbidden".

There's a glitch with the forum software. Airfix have been made aware of this, but we're not holding our breath on it being actioned promptly.

• 3 weeks later...

At last able to post a reply with pictures! Here's my Airacobra effort for 601 Squadron showing the decals I used, including the 'home-made' one for the tail-fin-flash.

/media/tinymce_upload/478f1e54b5099a5227d4d7513e2b0a71.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/3ead5852d628356bd19e6a91758f709f.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/3d00811683372e45bf3c0d238bd7f0b7.JPG