Point Motors [operated by DCC]

Guest Chrissaf

I'm sure I'm connecting them properly.....

One very common issue is cross wiring the common return with one or other of the other two wires. When this crossed wiring is performed the observed result is that the point operates in one direction only but just clicks in the other.

This existing thread URL link below explains this issue with demonstration schematics.

http://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/surface-point-motors/?p=1

Another common issue with surface mounted point motors is where the mounting screws have been over tightened. The case of the point motor can bend if the mounting screws are done up too tightly. This causes the soft iron slug inside the solenoid point motor to stick and become unresponsive. The clicks you can hear is the slug trying to move but cannot complete its full travel. The solution to this, is to undo the screws slightly such that you can detect some slight play in the motor housing under finger pressure.

In either of the two cases above, the alignment of the point motor is super critical. The tolerances are very fine and the point motor must be mounted 100% in correct alignment such that the operation of the point moving rails do not cause the solenoid motor to stick.

In order to prove whether the issue is with the Accessory Decoder [you haven't stated brand or model number] then transpose the three wires from a unresponsive motor to a known good working Accessory Decoder port. If it is still unresponsive then investigate the suggestions I have made further above. If previously unresponsive point motors work fine on good known decoder ports. Then you will have to tell us more about your Accessory Decoders [brand, model, age, how wired to the controller etc] and wait for further guidance as it does indeed look to be a possible decoder issue.

Looking at your posting history. Your two previous posts also related to DCC point operation, but those were two years ago.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Note: Forum has a BUG at present that prevents making URL links clickable and also prevents any images being posted. So 'copy and paste' the URL links I have given above manually into your browser.

My surface mounted point motors don't seem to work properly or possibly the accessory decoder. I'm sure I'm connecting them properly but in some terminals they just seem to click click click. Other terminals work fine. It's driving me crazy. 
any ideas.