Replacement propellor for Spitfire

Roy.Batty

Hi,

I wonder if someone can help. I just bought a first Airfix kit for my 8 year old son of the 1:72 Supermarine Spitfire Mark 1a. We decided to work on it together outdoors to avoid any paint or glue fumes on a nice sunny day. Unfortunately in the middle of the early stage of assembly a big gust of wind took away our propellor parts and were lost. My poor son was distraught at not being able to carry on and thinks all hope is lost. Is there any way we can fix the situation? There were 3 small parts lost which were A1, A6 and A8. 

Thanks in advance,

Rick

I can check and see what's in my spare parts bin but getting them to you would be an issue as you cannot exchange personal details on this forum.

Failing that a dedicated finger tip search of your garden might prove more successful??

If that doesn't work try (Paul or Ratch can probably add to this suggestion) certain Airfix spitfires have a lot more parts than others. I'm 95% sure the 1/72 Spitfire Va kit has TWO props (its an amalgamation of different kits and has excess parts for several other types). Two spitfires are twice as good as one 😆 Plan B would be to buy a resin aftermarket part on eBay and plan C if you have the spinnner hub still and some scratch building skills would be to cut a disc of clear plastic and combine with the spinner to make a "moving prop" effect. 

The 403 Forbidden thing has stopped me posting a link but "1/72 Spitfire propellor" on eBay throws up a nice resin one for about £6 including postage. If you have to go down that route use superglue gel to fix the blades to the spinner not poly-cement. Resin parts are often higher detail than polystyrene but can be more brittle and need a bit more skill so best to do it for your son. BTW even at 43 I have bits fly off the table and apparently leave the universe! 

I'm 95% sure the 1/72 Spitfire Va kit has TWO props (its an amalgamation of different kits and has excess parts for several other types).

This is correct, you'd need one of the Series 2 kits, either MkI/II A02010 or MkVa A02102. The snag is that neither are current and might need a little tracking down to get one.

• 1 month later...

Just to add that the Spit Va kit, just a re-boxing of the previous I/IIA kit but with new decals, has 3 props to choose from,  de havilland 3 blade, Rotol 3 blade and the Watts 2 blade for early 1a's.

Both the Va and II/IIa kits are no longer in the current Airfix range but can be picked up at reasonable cost on a well known on-line auction web site with the Va being the cheaper of the two in my experience.

However as Airfix recently produced more of the basic 1a Spitfire kit due to it selling out during the current Covid 19 'crisis' I'd be amazed if a spare prop and spinner are not in their spares inventory at the moment, so hopefully you had some joy via this channel.

Regards

Colin.