R4630 coupling replacement

Leeberry50

Hi,

my son has got the r4630 coach, it has NEM coupling (I think they are thin ones) however he has broken it, they are not as robust as the standard couplings.

is there a replacement for these? the replacement NEM coupling I can see is the part that pushes into the coupling if that makes Sense (r8219) we need the socket of this that fits to the bogie. It has a triangular fitting.

thanks in advance 

I think what you are after is called a NEM pocket. This clips into the bogie and the coupling pushes into it. If they are the same as the locos they are either always falling out or breaking if the coach derails. Somebody will probably tell you the right part number or you could Google it. Trouble is even if you change the coupling type, they all fit into the NEM pocket which quite often seems to be the weakest link.

These are in very short supply at present and out of stock from all the normal suppliers.

X6354 (Pack of 10 NEM Pockets)

OR

X9289 (Pack of 1 NEM Pocket including matching narrow NEM tension lock coupling)

Note that the NEM pocket triangular fixing is very slightly chamfered and needs to be pushed into the triangular recess the correct way round else it will just fall out again.

Thanks Colin and Chris.

i will have a look around. I'm a little disappointed in how flimsy it is as the railroad stuff is supposed to be for the younger ones. the other two mk1s he bought have the standard coupling which is much better.

is there a way to change completely to the standard ones? 

It is a case of suck it and see unfortunately Lee, depending upon how your coupling is attached, some pockets fit on the bogie, some have a complex cam arrangement to allow closer coupling but opening up on bends.

If you have a model shop handy then take the coach and see what they have in stock that could be adapted to fit with modelling skills, if the exact replacement is not available. Many shops have a scrap box that may yield suitable parts.

I presume your coupling has broken at the flimsy part attaching the pocket box to the dovetail fitting.

I am pretty sure the B ones fit, it is supposed to be a standard. I do remember someone on this site saying that one sort seems to be a bit tighter. I noticed that you can still get the ones made by B. The ones on my locos fall out on a regular basis that I am sure some of my Hornby's have Bachmann ones.

Thanks RAF96 yes it has snapped at the thin part of the dovetail. It's very flimsy and not great on the railroad ones.

unfortunatley we don't have a model shop close by Which is a shame as he loved picking his own things in one whilst we were on holiday 

I will order some of the B ones and give them a try as they are available then can get him back up and running. thanks Colin.

There is every likelyhood that the Bachmann pockets will fit. I say likely because I have more spare Bachmann pockets than Hornby but accidently mixed them up when I dropped my bit box on the floor. As a result there is a five to one chance that some of my Hornby wagons have Bachmann pockets especially as some were a little stiff to get in.