Gaugemaster Compatibility

Taylor Noelle

Hi there, I am currently looking at buying a (Bachmann) Class 08 DCC-Ready loco off Rails Of Sheffield; Now, it says the recommended DCC-Decoder is a 'Gaugemaster Ruby Series 2 decoder'. I've heard that the Hornby Select isn't compatible with some decoders that aren't hornby ones. So, does anyone know if this specific decoder works with the select?

It depends what firmware version your Select currently has. It is true that some brands of decoder seem to have had issues with early version Selects, but less so with the later firmware releases.

The current installed firmware is displayed as the very first number to briefly appear on the Select screen as it is being powered up. Expect to see a number between 10 and 20. At the time of writing, the latest version is 1.6 [16] or 2.0 [20] - both the same. These latest versions completely transform the user experience of the Select controller and add the ability to write (not read) all CVs up to CV255. As well as access to the full F0 - F28 range of functions.

The upgrade charge is typically £15 plus VAT [£18] plus your sending postage costs. You need to get a 'returns number' from Hornby Customer Services - see 'Contact Us' link at the very bottom of the page.

If you do arrange to get your Select firmware upgraded, then you will need both the Select version 1.5 full manual and the version 1.6 addendum manual. As the operation of your Select (how to use it) will be completely different in certain areas of operation compared to your current firmware version, if prior to version 1.5.

You can download these two manual PDFs from here:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/12/

If nothing appears to happen, check your nominated browser download folder for the files as they can download silently in the background.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Unable to make links clickable at present due to the forum BUG. Copy and Paste the URL text manually into your browser. And this BUG also prevents images being posted as well.

Urban legend rears its ugly head again.

It is more likely the decoders are incompatible with the controller than the other way around. Hattons being a prime example where they even post outdated information about it on their product pages.

Most controllers are designed to be NMRA compliant if not at birth, certainly as their firmware is progressively updated. Unfortunately the same cannot be guaranteed for each and every decoder, which in the case of some ‘shop’ branded decoders are usually bought in relabelled clones of popular or less popular other make decoders.

Such shop branded decoders can be as poor as LiaisDcc clones or as good as Zimo clones. Bachmann decoders are similar, as good as ESU clones or as bad as who knows what.

I must admit I have used lots of different makes of decoder, they all seem to work ok. The only issue I find is the way that some behave with poor DCC signals. So in a Bachmann diesel with decent pickups, I have up until recently been using LaisDCC and they worked perfectly ok. Similarly I have a couple of Hattons ones that perform OK, the only issue being when I fitted them to a Ringfield based loco, in that they couldn't handle the "stall current". I use a Hornby Elite of a Fleishmann Twin Track, to control them.

I am currently having difficulty programming a Gaugemaster DCC29 decoder with my Elite. I was beginning to suspect my Elite but I can fully programme other locos with Hornby, Bachmann, and LaisDCC decoders. I deliberately changed various CVs and then changed them back. I find LaisDCC decoders to be a good reliable make at a budget price especially the most recent Kung-Fu range. I have blown a couple up but that has always been my fault.

I have tried resetting the DCC29 with CV8 but had to do that twice. Main problem is similar to what I was getting with a Zen decoder last week in that it will not accept a 4 digit address. I have narrowed that down with the Gaugemaster decoder to CV18 not changing from zero.

Stubborn decoders can sometime respond to being programmed in REG mode but due to the limited number of registers this is a bit restrictive in what you can actually change.

I presume your Elite is at the latest firmware revision state as more and more decoders are catered for as these revisions are issued.

I must admit the Gaugemaster DCC decoders seem to be the worst ones I have and seeing that they are more expensive than the Zimo budget ones, I cannot see the appeal. I must admit I have not tried the Ruby series, but the old  ones were very poor on my layout picking up the signal compared to a Zimo. As to programming I wonder if is a function of the track and leads as well as the controller, I know when I used to design microprocessor circuits reading was always an issue as you have to read the signal at a certain point of the waveform, if there is a ton of noise on the signal then it can get it wrong. So really it depends on the length of your programming track, length of connecting leads and how well your loco picks up the signal from the track. Even when using my Elite to program and read back TTS decoder data it sometimes takes the Elite a couple of goes to read a parameter, it obviously has some "retry" strategy, but even then sometimes I have to do the process again. I don't do a lot of CV programing other than to reset the decoder, or set CV150 on a TTS diesel decoder and or course setting the loco number. I assume they are suggesting the Ruby range as it very small, as I say I tend to use Zimo decoders as they are very small and very rugged and I get a really good service from YouChoos and so far have never blown one up that wasn't my fault. I agree with the previous contributer LaisDCC decoders are OK, seem to be tons better in the 21 pin format as compared to the 8 pin, but again that could be a function of the loco I fit them to.

I normally would not have gone for a Gaugemaster decoder but on this occasion I am chipping a Hornby H Class anda direct fitting decoder seems to fit the bill. I had seen a recommendation for the DCC 29 for this loco and the Laisdcc equivalent is too big. The Zen Nano is not available and Zimo seem in short supply just now. 

I am going to try setting via Railmaster instead of just the Elite later today. I seem to remember doing that with a reluctant decoder once before.

Cliff

I have been able to programme the Gaugemaster DCC29 with Railmaster (with e-Link) this afternoon. But I did get a screen notification from RM to send an email and pdf as they do not recognise this decoder. 

However after all that when I came to put the H class body back on it would not fit. I can't remember where I got recommendation from but it was NOT here. I have now found a thread from April on here that spells it all out and I have now ordered a TCS DP2X-UK which I have used before. I really did not want to carve up this special edition to chip it and this should avoid it. Thank you to those who posted all the info I needed back then. I am going to look here more in future believe me.

All part of life's rich tapestry I suppose!

Cliff