R304 mallard 4-6-2 class A4 loco not running

Johnny7

I have just acquired the above loco.  It is complete with tender and in a box marked Top Link.

I am trying to test whether it will run. I have tried putting a 9V battery across the wheels and also tried a larger 9V battery across the track, and can get no movement out of it.  The wheels are clean and the track is good as have had other trains moving on it.  The wheels run fine cold, if a little stiff.

Would just like some general advice in how to further troubleshoot this loco.

Very many thanks for reading.

Looking at the web this is a tender driven motor, so for a start you must have loco and tender coupled together as the loco picks up one side of the supply, the tender the other. If if still doesn't work, unclip the tender top and put the battery across the motor brush retainers (the shiny pieces of metal), then at least you can establish that the motor works.

Hello

Managed to get it to move although a little stiff, unclipped the tender and put a batterty across the brush retainers and motor working very well.

I have the service sheets so will take apart and clean and lubricate, and i reckon that will do the job.

will report back when complete

Many thanks to all for your help