Rails mail

ColinB

Has Rails had a falling out with Hornby? I have just had a mail to say that they are cancelling all Hornby preorders. What is going on? I would have thought Rails is a Supplier, you wouldn't want to upset, they must shift loads of locos.

See the announcement on the RoS website! Looks like a big rift perhaps similar to the one between Hattons & Bachmann. Either they've been selling too cheaply or, more likely, it's down to their arrangements to create their own products with Hornby's competitors.

Karma to Hornby.

The problem is these box shifters want all the profit.

Getting huge discounts from major manufacturers whilst driving down prices from smaller suppliers.

Then they get a cob on because the same manufacturers beat them to the post with a similar product.

Greed has a way of getting its own back. I didnt like the RoS owners attitude (or Hattons for that matter) when he was on the Hornby TV mini-series. A bit too much spoiled brat to me.

Only my personal opinion of course as I have had good service from both firms.

Yes it is funny that, some of the stuff they are supposed to release they never do (eg) R3632 Merchant Navy to name one, but then they can rush through jobs like the NHS class 66. I suppose though a class 66 is a lot easier to make than a Merchant Navy class, their one doesn't even have lights.

The Hornby class 66, well anyway the one I have, does not have lights (I spent ages fitting them) and I gather from posts on this site nor does the NHS one. As for RoS, I am old enough to remember when he first started and how hard he worked to make a succesful business, so if he appears arrogant then he has probably earnt the right. R3632 was due end of 2019 according to my 2019 catalogue, I have had it on order since mid 2019 and in this year's catalogue there isn't even a date, so where are you getting your data.

Yes it is funny that, some of the stuff they are supposed to release they never do (eg) R3632 Merchant Navy to name one, but then they can rush through jobs like the NHS class 66. I suppose though a class 66 is a lot easier to make than a Merchant Navy class, their one doesn't even have lights.

There's enough of information online stating the reason why that particular model was delayed

And acceptable reasons too. They also openly stated how they managed to get the NHS Class 66 done fast. So it's not really a mystery.

The Hornby class 66, well anyway the one I have, does not have lights (I spent ages fitting them) and I gather from posts on this site nor does the NHS one. As for RoS, I am old enough to remember when he first started and how hard he worked to make a succesful business, so if he appears arrogant then he has probably earnt the right. R3632 was due end of 2019 according to my 2019 catalogue, I have had it on order since mid 2019 and in this year's catalogue there isn't even a date, so where are you getting your data.

Once again, there's a lot of sources online where you can get an ETA on Hornby products. Not just the catalogue.

I don't think how hard you work gives you any chance to act any different.

It is a pity to hear about Hornby & RoS falling out. However it's not the end of the world. There's a lot of other smaller model shops and retailers to order and pre-order from.

I personally moved all my pre-orders to RoS 4 years ago as I found their prices to be the best. However in the last few months their customer service and attitude has gone down drastically (based on personal experience). I was slowly starting to move pre-orders elsewhere since. I'll still use RoS, but just not for all orders.

Well R3632 is not even listed in their shop anymore, so assume that is now a 2021 release. I suppose then there was the Rocket wagons, RoS decided to make a product that was not available, then Hornby thought that was a good idea and decided to make them. I must admit every time I have had to talk RoS customer service they always seemed ok, when I needed to send something back they were very good sending me a prepaid label. The trouble with dealing with smaller shops is that if there is an issue with your loco, that was probably the only one they had, so they are not going to be very keen to send you a replacement.

I don't know if this helps this case, but I managed to get  a statement from a supplier about what happened between Hattons and Bachmann.

Not my words, quoting a model shop.

The company which owns Bachmann has a policy of not selling to a supplier which is considered to be a businness opponent (rival). Since Hattons started producing their own models, it went against the main company's TOCs, and hence Bachmann could not sell to hattons.

Rails circumnavigated this by producing their models with Dapol.

This probably has nothing to do with Rails and Hornby, though they did seem to have a bit of a fall out over the terriers.

I found it on the Hattons website when I moved my order and yes, I had previously checked the Hornby site and it came up with a page error. Probably someone is updating the website. Collets have the original date of April to May 2020, so obviously it is not that well known.

Had left the computer alone for several hours, after having spent an entire day WFH-ing - small screen was driving my old eyes a little crazy.

Just logged on again, and found this fiasco ....

Pity.

What's happening to their existing Hornby stock - Sale time?

Al.

RMWeb and the model railway community is pretty lively as a whole through this announcement.

Quite unfortunate.  Rails are an excellent outlet for the online modeller.

They have their own reasons, we don't need to know and probably never will.

Al.

People are always saying about using the smaller shops, in my local model shop there was a Bachmann diesel it was £60.00 dearer than what I could get it for on the web. I could accept £10.00 difference for the convenience but £60.00. There are some smaller progressive model shops where they match prices and generally I buy from these when I can, that is exactly how RoS started, I remember buying stuff from him in the 80s/90s where it was him and I suspect his mother running it.Smaller shops are great if they run a decent service, I have been in some where running a business is secondary to their hobby and talking to their mates while you wait for 10 minutes to get served. As I said previously if the article is only slightly more expensive in your local model shop then that is ok but if we are talking multiplies of £10 then that is a different story. A couple of firms I buy from are preservation railways where not only are their prices competative but you know the money is going to a good cause. There is a preserved railway in Kent where their prices are always maximum recomended retail whereas there is one in Howarth and Grosmont where their prices are very reasonable.