No continuity

Blueandwhiteton

Hello all, I am servicing my hst ringfield motor but there is no continuity between chassis and the coils on the commutater could it be a broken wire ?, or is the magnet demagnetised I am at a loss, unfortunately I have assembled my other cleaned motor into my other power car, thanks for any info.

You should find two sets of springs and carbon brushes making contact between the commutator and electrical contacts on the outside of the motor, surely...

There are plenty of tutorials for servicing these motors online, they will probably be helpful for your case.

Thank you STG,  I stripped comm out of holder and there was a broken miniscule wire from one coil  which when tested with my meter rings out through chassis but I can't see a place that would indicate where the wire was soldered onto, am I right in assuming that this cannot be repaired and a new comm assembly will have to be sourced on an well known auction site.

If the ringfield motor doesn't work anymore you have 3 main options:

1. Using relateable web images, find where the wire could go
  2. Just get the required new parts of the motor (could be quite expensive)
  3. Convert the Ringfield to a CD/DVD Motor

Can’t post a picture due to this forum bug but I will try to describe the fix.

Enamelled wire is attached to the tab of one commutator segment, this wire winds round one pole piece and connects to the next tab, then goes on to coil round the next pole piece, connects to the third tab, then coils around the last pole piece and finally connects to the very first tab.

This decribes a three pole motor but a five pole motor just has more coils and tabs.

In your case you may be able to resolder the loose wire to the associated tab. If not a new ringfield armature is not expensive. See Peters Spares or New Modellers Shop for the correct one for your motor.

I did manage to fix one of mine after someone on this site told me what to look for. Alternatively, you can buy a rewound one off EBay, you send them your old one and they send you a rewound one or alternately Lendons of Cardiff have ones at £12.99 which is the route I eventually took. They even have "sleeved" five pole ones, buy they are very expensive.