52" x 12" space - what is the best model railway to make?

KidFury

Hi all,

I want to build a little model railway for my son, but the only space we can really use is on top of an ikea unit that measures 52" x 12". I understand any type of loop is out of the question (as far as I can tell), so I think we need to go for a shunting set up. I've done some research on the different types of shunting puzzles you can do, but I am brand new to all this, so I wanted to ask you for some advice on what to do with this space? I want as much playability as possible for him as he is only 5.  Cost isn't really an issue. We just want it to look great and be fun, and utilise the space as best as we can.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Whilst you wait for a reply, perhaps you would spend a few minutes reviewing the TIPs in the TIP page link below:

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Try searching Google for "Designing small shelf layouts for operating fun" and the top result should be a link to a PDF.

Having a quick glance at it, there seems to be some good information on multiple scales of modelling, and it gives you a good idea on what sort of track setup you can squeeze into a relatively small space.

There seems to be a particular plan that is 4' 5" x 12", similar to your size, and there seems to be multiple sidings that you can fit into your space, with a bit of scenery too.

Let us know if you need anything else, and welcome to the forum.

Rather than a shunting puzzle you could look up Minories Layout, CJ Freezer did a series of plans that were published in various magazines and PECO plan books, some of which are described online. There are various iterations, some with more sidings than others. All are based on a compact city station. 

Thanks all, I've found the pdf suggested above and it's a good little resource. 

When it comes to points, with such a small layout and the facts it's a 5yo, i was thinking manual points may be more interactive for him. Any thoughts?

Looks to be a comprehensive wire in tube system. 

Many folk have used a simple slide switch in lieu of the patent levers giving the advantage of the electrical part of the switch being able to operate signal lights or point indicators. You drill a hole for the operating wire in the slide switch handle. Very cheap.