Hornby R302 BR Class 3F Jinty loco

Mr. Fink-Nottle

Hi. I tried servicing the loco but noticed that a green wire on the mechanism with two metal appendages were loose. They may have come loose when I took the loco body off. As a result the loco isn't working. I tried attaching a photo but mybpost wasn't allowed for some reason. I may try sending the photo without any text. Can anyone help please? Thank you. 

Tried uploading the photo but still forbidden.

I found a servicing sheet online and saw the sockets where the two conductor rods go. They have to make contact with the driver wheel rims. They did so but still no movement. I tried to use the two wires from the transformer manually to make the wheels move and they did sometimes, but only if you hit a certain area or areas on the loco, eg near the computator or whatever it's called. 

Any thoughts, anyone? 

Right looking at the web your Jinty is very old about the 1980's and has a X04 motor in it. My one is the red LMS version, but I assume it is the same. The green wire connects the two pickups on the front and back wheels, then connects to suppression circuit of a capacitor and inductor, a piece of insultaion is covering mine. From here there is a red wire that connects to the other end of the inductor and goes up to the motor. If look from the top of your chassis with the motor right on top, you will see a spring piece of wire, this is held in place at the top by a brass screw and at the other ends attaches to the two motor brushes. On one side of this sprung piece of wire is a piece of sleeving. The red wire with its piece of copper goes between the insulated sleeve and the brush, if you look at it closely so will see it is the same shape as the top of the brush. On your one it might be all the wires are green. The other brush is just held in by the clip, as this connects it to the chassis, on my one there are no pickups on the other side as it uses the axles. Hope this helps.

Looking at your post again it looks like the pickups have just fell out, there should be a slot in front of the front wheel and one in front of the back wheel for them to fit. It looks like they are small sword types.These motors take a lot of current so it may be you just haven't got a good enough connection.

Just a piece of extra info, if you ever get hold of the latest 0-6-0 chassis, you will find that your existing body should fit it. I recently did that to mine, which is why the old one is sitting in front of me. I just got fed up with the noise and it would have been a pain to convert to DCC because of the high current.

Hi Colin. Thank you very much indeed for your extremely helpful response to this thread. I had the loco without its body attached in front of me and examined it as I read your response, section by section. There is indeed a red wire at the top of the chassis. The two pickups are indeed sword shaped and fit easily into their respective slots. I did get this loco second hand from a very reputable Hornby dealer (I have known him for many years now) so I might ask him to get his colleague to take a look at it. This colleague does actual repairs. The loco wheels dd go round a bit when I applied the transformer wires to the chassis; one wire to one of the pickups and the other to the mechanism just in front of the motor. The loco did work ok before I took the body off to give it a gentle lubrication (in the right places, I hasten to add!) and yes, one of the pickups (in fact I think it was both, on reflection) had fallen out. The pickups do touch the driving wheel rims ok when slotted in. That said, you may be right in that I may not have a good enough connection. Is there any way to cure that, do you know?

Thanks once again Colin, you were so helpful. If you can suggest something about a better connection, then I would be very pleased to hear from you.

Best, Peter. 

Now you have got it all back together go round the back of the wheels with a cotton bud to get rid of any dirt or oxide and possibly down the pickups. It may be that certain parts of the wheels have dirt or oxide on them that stops it picking up. The other thing is to check you didn't over oil the axles, lots of oil makes a good insulator. The other thing that can be an issue is if the magnet in the motor has lost its magnetism. Try attaching wires to the brushes directly to get the motor running, sometimes if you can get the motor running it removes any oxide on the commutator. You said though, that it worked before you did the maintenance, so my favorite is excessive oil on the axles.

Hi Colin. Thank you for your advice and for journeying with me on this issue. I removed the wheels from the main chassis and cleaned both them and the axles with several cotton buds and a generous amount of Isopropanol fluid. I also cleaned those sections of the driving rods to which the wheels would be attached. In doing all this I removed copious amounts of black filth from all these mechanisms, ensuring none was left. Even the holes on the outer part of the wheels which receive the driving rod attachments weren't spared. I also cleaned the sockets in which the pickups are placed.

Having done all this (and it was important this it was done) one of the pickup wires (the front one) became detached during the process. I was not rough in handling anything. This, along with all the filth removed, is probably why the loco wasn't working beforehand. As I don't have a soldering iron I will have to take it to my longstanding Hornby dealer and good friend to get it sorted. At least we now know where things stand. Thanks once again for all your wonderful help and advice and I will keep you posted via this thread.

Best, Peter.