Flying Scotsman Identify Spare Part Needed (pony?)

TroublesomeTrains

I need some help to get an old flying scotsman running again - I've highlighted in red where the part is broken, and highlighted in blue the part I need (I think it's called a pony?). I've found similar parts, but they're different at the part highlighted in red. This scotsman was purchased most likely early 90's. Any help would be appreciated - I mildly recall it had a thin metal "tweezer", which was kind of "riveted" on, this broke off and the engine never really recovered! (bluetact for a while I remember).

Looking at your photo is appears your loco is a tender driven loco. I assume you want a new one as the copper connector has snapped off. I googled Peters Spares and it looks like it is the same as an A4, it is also fitted to Gordon from Thomas the tank. The part number is x2243. I am not an expert so look at the photo and check it is the right shape.

If you are into electrics, replace it all with a two pin plug and socket off EBay, it will run better.

I've added a temporary photo link in my bio.

TT, just for reference info. You could have posted that URL text in the main body of a post. It didn't have to go in your BIO panel. The current forum BUG only affects making URL links clickable. URLs in raw text form are not affected ... you just can't click on them to activate.

Looking at your photo is appears your loco is a tender driven loco. I assume you want a new one as the copper connector has snapped off. I googled Peters Spares and it looks like it is the same as an A4, it is also fitted to Gordon from Thomas the tank. The part number is x2243. I am not an expert so look at the photo and check it is the right shape.

If you are into electrics, replace it all with a two pin plug and socket off EBay, it will run better.

I think this is the right part! - sorry for not replying sooner, I'm only allowed to post twice a day  ☹️

I've added a temporary photo link in my bio.

TT, just for reference info. You could have posted that URL text in the main body of a post. It didn't have to go in your BIO panel. The current forum BUG only affects making URL links clickable. URLs in raw text form are not affected ... you just can't click on them to activate.

unfortunately the forum wouldn't let me post with a text link, use insert image by link, or uploaded image directly. 403 forbidden errors.

I said the 403 error ONLY AFFECTS CLICKABLE LINKS ... these are links that are underlined and blue or red in colour. RAW TEXT links are not affected ... see your link pasted below to prove a point:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOWm7IZ_NQNuwLE2X9ELJbQjpei-VGsFafghFpsOnrikYoeVtb_ZueNHY22QKEtaA/photo/AF1QipMmcX0jjEJsu6mKUfSFqWoInZ_OyAqqVhAwtHYU?key=YTNYQ1ZzOU1Odk5EN3JBNHVaRmdpWFFxR2RSVVBn

If for some reason, when you are compiling a post, the URL is pasted as a 'Hyperlink' [i.e in its clickable form] then just place your cursor somewhere in the URL text and click the 'Broken Chain Link' tool icon, to revert the URL back to RAW text that will not trigger the error.

I'm only allowed to post twice a day

Incorrect. The posting limit only applies to your very first two posts in the initial 24 hours. After which, you can post freely.

I said the 403 error ONLY AFFECTS CLICKABLE LINKS ... these are links that are underlined and blue or red in colour. RAW TEXT links are not affected ... see your link pasted below to prove a point:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOWm7IZ_NQNuwLE2X9ELJbQjpei-VGsFafghFpsOnrikYoeVtb_ZueNHY22QKEtaA/photo/AF1QipMmcX0jjEJsu6mKUfSFqWoInZ_OyAqqVhAwtHYU?key=YTNYQ1ZzOU1Odk5EN3JBNHVaRmdpWFFxR2RSVVBn

If for some reason, when you are compiling a post, the URL is pasted as a 'Hyperlink' [i.e in its clickable form] then just place your cursor somewhere in the URL text and click the 'Broken Chain Link' tool icon, to revert the URL back to RAW text that will not trigger the error.

I'm only allowed to post twice a day

Incorrect. The posting limit only applies to your very first two posts in the initial 24 hours. After which, you can post freely.

I imagine the restriction is on new registered users not being able to add links in their first 24 hours - I tried to add simple text links without hyperlinks.

TT please stop using tjhe Blue button with the white arrow to reply, all it does is repeat the post you do it from. Folk can follow the thread without seeing it all printed on screen again.

Just scroll down the page and type in the reply box at the bottom of the page and press the Green Reply button.

There is no restriction on posting links during the first 24 hours for new members. Your initial url rejection must have been due to the method you used to paste them in the post.

As Rob says above. The blue button is not a 'Reply to this post' button. It is completely uneccessary to keep on using it. The preferred reply method is to write your reply in the 'Reply' text box at the bottom of the page and click the GREEN Reply button.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to keep the loco original, i.e. with the drawbar cast as part of the pony truck frame, X1546 is the assembly number as per service sheet 131.  Alternatively, you can 'update' if you wish by substituting the pony truck with a screw-on sprung drawbar as per sheets 131A & 204.