TTS King Richard sound

Guest Chrissaf

Whilst you wait for a reply, perhaps you would spend a few minutes reviewing the TIPs in the TIP page link below:

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Unable to make the link clickable at present due to the forum BUG. Copy and Paste the URL text manually into your browser. And this BUG also prevents images being posted as well.

Firstly if your controller is capable try resetting the sound side of the decoder by writing value 5 to CV8. This will set all volumes to default value of 4 but retain any motor side changes and loco addressing you have made.

If it is only the whistle sound then it may be the decoder is bad, but if all sounds are a bit iffy then it is more likely to be a duff speaker. The only way to check is to change the speaker being careful to do it at the speaker end of the wires and watch the magnet doesn’t grab your hot soldering iron tip. I tape my speakers to the bench to help prevent this.

I have just purchased an unused King Richard II with TTS sound. The double whistle sound (F5) doesn't sound like a whistle at all and certainly nothing like the double whistle I get with the Cast Class TTS. Is this a general problem with the King TTS or just a fault with mine?

Do the rest of the sounds sound ok? I have a TTS P2 which I thought the sound was a bit distorted especially on the whistles, it wasn't until I bought another one (Amazon were doing them cheap) that I found out. Unless they haven't programmed it properly, I would expect them all to be the same. I have this TTS decoder on a King but when I tested it all I would have checked is that it made a noise. Trouble is I could go and test it again but I don't really know what it should sound like. 

I reread your post again and realised it was F5 so I tried it again. Yes, a short double whistle. It might be the quality of the speaker, I use a small iphone one which give really good quality. I must admit this TTS decoder sounds a lot better than the one fitted to my Merchant Navy Loco, but I think I used a suger cube or the original speaker in that one.