LMS Duchess of Sutherland 6233 - Tender Drive.

Puffed Out

I have recently bought an old LMS Duchess of Sutherland 6233 - Tender Drive, with lighting at the front for the lanterns(as it appears), with the pick up off the front driving wheel.

Is it possible to date this Loco please. Looking at the Collectors guide it shows 1977 to 1979.  Is this correct.?

I remember my Geography teacher bringing one into the School model railway club about that time as well!!

Looked fantastic at the time - shows how demands and expectations have changed - pity we don't have lights any more!!

Only Dapol Black Label A4's have front loco lamps as standard ... but they're a little expensive!!

Al.

Yes indeed.  As an experiment I converted a Duchess of Sutherland that had an ailing ringfield tender motor to direct drive using an X.04 and main brass drive gear out of a scrap jinty chassis.  What a transformation!  The loco couldn't be run on more than 3/4 power or it would bend the valve gear up, it was also a very strong hauler.  I sold it on to a friend for his layout.

For a 40 odd year old Loco it gets along extremely well, the ringfield really does it's job. The only thing that was wrong with were the deflectors were missing, but these were very easily sourced. 

From what the seller told me, it was part of her grandfathers rather large layout, and looking at others up for grabs they were all very well looked after.

Anyway I'm a happy bunny to own this classic Loco. 😆

With my Duchess of Sutherland I managed to get one of the later Princess tender bottoms which will take the 5 pole motor. Peters Spares were doing the Henry 5 pole motor unit which drops in, I had to paint the wheels. I then put the DCC socket in the loco and connected the tender to the loco by the same 4 pin arrangement as a modern loco. I also added a 1980's smoke unit and firebox lighting. It goes really well, the only issue I am still having is the pony truck wheels don't like my points, but that should be fixable.