Hard wire Bachman locos

locojoe

A couple of weeks ago i posted about a Ivat loco that had the pc board

broken and the wires pulled from the plug , and wonderd if it was possible

to hard wire a decoder to the model.

I contacted Bacman this morning and the reply was yes you can but it 

will only operate on dc control and not dcc .

Hope this will be of help

I find this response from Bachmann confusing. I have no trouble removing 21 pin circuit boards from Bachmann locos (why 21 pin for a steamer?) and hardwiring in a basic Hornby 4 pin decoder that works perfectly. Basically all a decoder does is convert the square wave AC DCC input into a variable 12v DC output to drive the motor...........HB

@RAF96 I told the guy that when he first asked. I had only recently fixed one for someone else, the pickup board plus connector including post and packing I think was less than £10.00. Either way this is £140 loco. What Bachmann probably recommended, on this loco it only has pickups in the loco but passes them to the tender for the DCC connector which on this model is 8 pin. So basically you wire the pickups in the loco to the motor in the loco, like they used to be wired. That way you don't need any connections to the tender but bye bye DCC. Trouble is people pick up just the loco and of course leave the tender dangling. The one I fixed for the guy said it came back like that from his supposed Repairer.