APT Pantograph Spring Replacement Help

FishyDelishy

My Hornby APT has been in storage for 35+ years and I'm now in the process of restoring it and upgrading it for DCC.

The pantograph is missing its spring.  I've ordered some Hornby X8114 (M1544) springs as I read these were the most suitable and could be adapted to fit.

However, I can't find anything that explains how to adapt it, nor do I know what the spring position and setup would be on a working pantograph.

Could someone post some pictures of a pantograph with its original spring and if possible some instructions on how to convert the replacement spring to fit?

Thanks!!

Thanks Rana, I found a photo of the Class 86 pantograph.  I realised that on my APT pantograph the shiny bar running up the back had been put in the wrong way up, hence why I couldn't see where a spring should attach.  Once the X8114 springs arrive I'll have a go at customising one to fit.  Looks like it could be tricky!

Thanks for the tips, I managed to fit a X8114 spring and the pantograph stands up quite nicely.

I don't know how you get it to stay down.  Either it clips somehow and I'm not doing it right or perhaps the spring is too strong??

/media/tinymce_upload/31d9131fb287441862234e5f5a2f594a.jpg