Road Bridge over double track

Neil AP

Hi

I want to have a road bridge over the tracks, more or less where the trucks are and I wondered if anybody could recommend the best type of Bridge. It's an 00 guage track, Horby set up to F pack. I don't mind if the bridge is modern or old fashioned, it's just that I'm struggling to find a bridge that would allow the trains to go through unhindered. I dont mind if the road is single of double. 

see pic, any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks , Neil

/media/tinymce_upload/cb37638026bf4e563301bdedaf42d99e.jpg

Hi

Can anybody recommend a road bridge to go over to a double piece of track, My layout is a standard Hornby track set, up to Pack F so the bridge needs to be able to let two tracks through, does that make sense ?

I can post a picture if that helps.

I'm struggling to find the correct bridge.

thanks for any help,

Neil

The opening in the bridge arch I shown is 122mm. This Metcalfe's kit PO246/0247 (brick or stone) Railway Bridge, to these you add P0248 or P0249 Tapered Retaining Walls used a ramps to get on and off the bridge. You build them with either left or right or straight on/off orientation. This is mine in the foreground, but used to get from one level to another. Note this is stone colour.

/media/tinymce_upload/32f7fbd5b69dfc9c92e85193c691fcb7.jpg

These are the Skaledale ones excuse the mess, the last one is a combination of laser cut one with Peco sides and a resin support. 

and /media/tinymce_upload/f388b05c6d86bd02fe989bc2203f8910.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/e951e4b279d43e06593957aa8ffeb577.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/f66901dec0ebccf7b92a463610c986f6.jpg

@RAF96 yes thank you for doing that. I actually loaded the 3 picture one first. It took a long time to load and then crashed the web page. I just assumed the photos were too big and the load had failed, so loaded them individually.

The Skaledale ones were expensive, but I must admit they really do look good, the only issue with the stone ones is they are a bit high, but I think they are modelled on a line with catenary. In that photo there are three, the first and second are separated by a piece of resin wall a guy on EBay does. Not that you ever will, but if you get fed up with them, they seem to sell for what you paid for them or more.

Why not build your own from photo mounting board and cover that with either Metcalfe brick or stone papers or Slaters plasticard brick stone sheet? I built several a few years back from card and Superquick papers that looked just like the Skaledale bridge in the photo. All very simple to do and you can have the pleasure of knowing that there is no other. It will also be tailor made to you layout restrictions of the curve.

Another scratch build method is to use 5mm thick foam board with one of the paper sides carefully peeled off. The exposed foam can be sculpted into brick or block rows using various tools like a pencil or pen or scalpel handle, etc. The foam takes acrylic or emulsion paint well.

• 2 weeks later...

An option that is often overlooked by modellers is the Tri-ang-Hornby/Hornby R.657 Girder Bridge still made today by Hornby.  With a bit of detailing and a bit of plasticard to make a bridge deck you have a very suitable single track road girder bridge that can span up to 4 tracks, or if you arrange it into double width it can span two tracks with a normal road width.