Back Scenes

morairamike

This week I visited Gaugemaster and whilst looking around for animals and ballast glue I can across a set of back scenes . Never used these before or in fact I've never done scenery before either.

Anyway today I fitted the on faced 2mm hardboard. They are printed on photopaper so dry glue used. Here's the result./media/tinymce_upload/06e9fa456965de15243ac3a56d5a1932.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/e09f21034d99ed9dbb1b012d46e1fa8f.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/ff1a1a276d815a9fdbf8c47c9f5d9669.jpg

For someone who hasn’t done scenery before you have made an incredible job of it Mike. I appreciate its not just the mechanical skills involved in laying down materials but also the importance of having a natural eye for the artistic side of adding realism to the layout scenery. Very well done.

Hi morairmike

That looks really good even just a plain sky blue back-scene can make a BIG difference to a model railway.

Don't ever put a 90 degree square corner in a back-scene is wrecks the effect beyond redemption.

If you ever have to turn a back-scene round a 90 degree corner do it on at least a six inch 150mm radius curve not a square corner, that helps the flow of the scene without a corner that sicks out like a sore thumb to spoil things.

regards John

Hi morairmike

That looks really good even just a plain sky blue back-scene can make a BIG difference to a model railway.

Don't ever put a 90 degree square corner in a back-scene is wrecks the effect beyond redemption.

If you ever have to turn a back-scene round a 90 degree corner do it on at least a six inch 150mm radius curve not a square corner, that helps the flow of the scene without a corner that sicks out like a sore thumb to spoil things.

regards John

John,

Never say never! 😆 I have a few square corners with my backscenes and I am very happy with the results; unavoidable really because of the building structures in the foreground. I would post a few pictures but I don't have instant rights and by the time they were approved folks interest would have moved on.

Hi moraimike

The blue wall pic illustrates exactly what I mean just imagine patterned wallpaper or a "wrong" color wall how that would spoil the picture and detract from your work.

Its just light blue paint but it makes a positive difference.

regards John

Hi bulliedboy and 37lover

I would have thought the effort and very small loss of 3D scenery geting a six inch 150mm radius curve into a backscene.

To avoid a very jarring square corner that jumps out and kicks your teeth in every time you see it, was a very small price to pay for a curved corner that doesnt look so jarring and is visualy less obviouse.

Another thing with a backscene that is a good thing to do is where ever posible have a scene that goes up and over a little before it hits the backscene it doesn't need to be very much, it hides the hard line between the 3D modelled scene and the flat 2D backscene.

With a backscene done right suddenly your railway is 20 miles deep not the 3' or 4' deep it realy is.

regards John

Buz,

I agree entirely that a backscene is a great addition but I keep it in perspective; it's a model railway so nothing is jumping out and kicking me in the teeth. As Bulledboy and myself said it is not always possible to fit a curved corner. I am going to put a "Sunset" on my backscene, that's a lot further than 20 miles!  😆. Please don't get me wrong, I am supporting you on this but just need a little bit of compromise.

Hi 37lover.

Oh I can compromise you should see some of the trains I am willing to use mismatch central all modern Hornby or Hornby ancestor companies HMM that caboose doesn't look quite right It also needs some comsmetic restoration.

But after spending all that time and effort to make the best scenery I can (Note this is the bit I really enjoy) and calling in a like minded friend to make it even better.

Two minds are sometimes better than one.

I will not compromise it by doing something I concider will spoil it and the effect.

The old if its worth doing do it properly thing.

regards John

A few pictures of my backscenes; one at 90 degrees, one curved [ish], and another in darkness.

/media/tinymce_upload/171ce2e5e122004f54abec901caf8964.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/6a749839507dc33f28cefa67be26f8bf.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/19c2b1b5c308bdff126d96928013051c.JPG

Bulleidboy,

Thanks. Most of the buildings along that end of the layout are Scalescene, and yes they are Flats [with a Hotel betweeen!] and then a Car Park. In the squared corner that's the Warehouse, the track goes through the wall there and I've got a Wye arrangement in the adjacent room for turning trains. You can't see in the photo but the track returns under the curved Flats [behind the Loco Shed].

Hi bulliedboy and 37lover

Apologies for the delay in reply

Thanks for the pictures but to me they just prove my point.

My eyes keep getting drawn into the square corner instead of looking at the scenes presented.

Which is a great shame given the thought and work both of you have clearly put into the scenes presented.

When I get that far as to putting a back scene in I will definitely be having  the wrestling match with the ply wood to get those curves into the back-scene corners.

regards John