Point connection to decoder

cjb417

It is possible, as many users on here say that they are doing it without issue [subject to knowing what actual point motors they are using]. But make sure that the two point motors are electrically matched. That is to say, the same brand and model of motor. Mismatched, motors on the same port may not both operate together reliably.

It might work but not a particularly good idea. It appears from a previous post Hornby only rate the product to switch one point. I did take my unit apart to check the components and according to the spec it should switch 6 amps, I assume not for very long (no heat sink). If they are low power versions you might have more success. Personally, I would stick to the Hornby advice.

Hornby official recommendation of one motor per port is to safeguard their warranty. If they said it was OK for two motors and for whatever reason that didn’t work or it overloaded causing damage, they would be liable.

In practice I have found the R8247 will reliably throw two  matched solenoid motors together if they are well aligned and the points operate extremely smoothly.

Also in practice I have found it better to have a hefty CDU in circuit and use the output from the R8247 to pull in  a relay coil which fires the CDU through the main contacts. This method will fire multiple motors all day and allows you to connect manual switches as well as run them from DCC. Some makes of accessory decoder already have this manual switching facility and are also self learning meaning setting them up on DCC is child’s play.