Engine magnets

sxbiker

I wonder if any one can tell me. Do engine magnets gradually lose there magnetism during storage. I have a number of older locos going back to the 60's that have been in storage for more than 20 years. I am just starting a new layout and I will be using them for the first time in a long time.

Will I need to have the motors re-magnetised?

Do motor magnets gradually lose their magnetism

Yes they potentially can.

This video gives practical demonstrations on how to tell if your motor magnets need attention and also demonstrates the before and after comparisons.

If you don't want to purchase your own re-magnetiser, you can send your motor (if one of the supported types) to Scalespeed.co.uk and have them do it for you.

Iron magnets lose their magnetism quickly if taken ‘out of circuit’ and not immediately placed in a ‘keeper’.

Neo  magnets do not lose their magnetism over time like iron magnets, but they do not suit all motors as replacements.

I have one ringfield running sweet as a nut with a neo magnet but another one was lumpy as school custard with a neo, so it was reverted to iron magnets. Another one was hopeless with either type of magnet so was binned in favour of a DVD motor.