Reverse Loop Module

JohnieP

Can the hornby reverse loop module be used with any dcc controller or is it only for Hornby Selct or Hornby Elite controllers?

If it can be used with any dcc controller would I need to select Elite on the reverse loop module?

The controller that I have is Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance.

Cheers,

Jon

Yes the R8238 can be used with any DCC controller.

The switch selection on the R8238 labelled 'Select / Elite' is a little misleading. The switch is used to select the trigger current required to switch the RLM. With the switch in the 'Select' position the trigger current is set to 0.8Amps [800mA]. With the switch in the 'Elite' position, the trigger current is set to 3.5Amps.

So the question is really what is the maximum current to track that the GM Prodigy Advance provides. Unless it is at least 4Amps, then you need to put the R8238 switch in the 'Select' position.

I would go further than that and recommend that you put the R8238 in the 'Select' switch position regardless of the power pack current that the GM Prodigy Advance uses. The reason for this recommendation is because the lower 0.8Amp trigger current puts less stress on the controller and secondly, a well designed layout that has a RLM deployed in it should only have a single train within a RLM protected section at any one time and 800mA should be adequate for any loco unless it is a very old loco that has been converted to DCC.

Note this however, if your GM power pack is say about 2Amp rated, then the R8238 will only work in the 'Select' switch position because the GM power pack can never generate the 3.5Amp trigger current needed if the switch is in the 'Elite' position.

My downloadable RLM Tutorial discusses the above in great detail and I recommend that you download and read it, if you haven't done so already.

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/7unnCRfIZz

Morning Chrissaf,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I did have a Gaugemaster reverse loop module but the trains stop running at the isolated sections within the reverse loop. Everything is wired up correctly and there are no shorts but it stops at these sections. I then had a lightbulb moment. I remembered I had a spare Hornby reverse loop module from when I used a Hornby Elite controller but didn't want to install it on the layout incase it didn't work.

I will download your RLM tutoral and will give it a read.

Thank you once again for your reply.

As always keep safe and take care.

All the best,

Jon