R2511 DMU Class 156 Derailing on points help please!

SamHornby

Hi, My R2511 keeps derailing on points when there switching tracks. I.e two points in a row with opposite turns if that makes sense. I'm not sure of the correct name! it's not the points as all my other locos have no issues so wondered if anyone has any advise on what may be wrong with the loco to cause it to do this? 

The usual suspect in these cases is the 'Back to Back' distance between the wheels. But as you have a DMU, I should look the ensure that the 'bogies' are rotating freely and do not catch on any parts of the body or internals. Similarly ensure the couplings are free to move from side to side without catching.

This recent thread documents more information on 'Back to Back' measurements and corrections.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/issue-with-r80723/?p=1/#post-343976

Just because other locos run fine is no guarantee that the issue is not track based. Some track issues can be rolling stock specific, so the track should not be totally discounted.

Other common fixes to fix derailment issues are to add an additional new track pin to the points as close to the frog area as you can get. A pilot hole in the sleepers will need to be drilled first.

....I'm not sure of the correct name....

I believe you are describing a 'cross-over'. Where two points are used to transfer a train from one track to another parallel track that is adjacent to the first. The cross-over then takes the form of an elongated S bend.

Do the points connect directly to a curved track piece. Going from a point directly into a curve seems to promote more derailments when using Hornby track for some rolling stock. It is much better to transition into a curve from a straight.

What actual wheels are derailing? is it the very leading bogie wheels, or the ones at the back of the motor car or the leading wheel or trailing wheels of the dummy motor car etc.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

I had an issue with my 156, where the factory fitted wire between the motor and the PCB caught, and could prevent the bogie from turning, and eventually lead to the wire pulling out (a simple rewire solved this).

If not, b-to-b is the solution most likely.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you both for your tips, ill try having a play today and see if I can get it working and if not will see if it performs on a slightly different track configuration.

sorry I didn't reply sooner, I'm still trying to work out how the Hornby Forum works! 

I'm still trying to work out how the Hornby Forum works

Read my TIPs page that I provided a link to in my initial reply.

Note) I see elsewhere that you have been using the 'Blue Button', perhaps where its use is not necessarily required. Please read, in particular, TIPs 1 to 3 on the linked page.