Hornby mallard r350 c1979

Claire1707821735

Hi,

Quick question  I've picked up an old r350 mallard, had a few issues getting it to run right, but I think it's nearly there now. 

However, now I'm looking at sorting out a few aesthetic bits, and I cant work out whether it should have a front coupling? I got a spare pair just in case when I got brushes etc, and there's a slot where the coupling fits, but after clipping the two lugs into it, what keeps it in? There's no screw for the centre hole, or way of clipping it in so it will come off without glue or drilling and tapping.

I'm not sure I want to put it on - but my plan was to get it back to how it was originally when new. 

Hopefully that makes sense! It's probably not the best way of explaining!

Well I have a 1980's one, R350 and on that one the front coupling is riveted to the front bogie. It looks like the front bogie has two lugs that stick up, the Triang type coupling goes over them and then they are peened over. In your case someone might have removed it and filed the lugs flat as they never intended to send the loco backwards. 

PS. I read your mail again, the slot you mention is where the hook sits but you are missing the rest of the old Triang coupling. The two lugs keep it on, the slot is just for the hook to move up and down. So it is not like the later coupling where it clips in.

Thanks! I think you're right, the lugs are too low for the coupling to want to stay on and they do look filed (shiny metal). I think a dot of glue will solve the problem, though the question is whether I want to put it on or not...

Do most people remove them? It seems like a lot of them online don't have the front coupling in place.

Thanks! I think you're right, the lugs are too low for the coupling to want to stay on and they do look filed (shiny metal). I think a dot of glue will solve the problem, though the question is whether I want to put it on or not...

Do most people remove them? It seems like a lot of them online don't have the front coupling in place.

Ps - I  picked up a whole new coupling with hook, sorry, didn't make that clear! 

I bought mine years ago, secondhand, probably in the 80's, so it is still original. I bought a Hornby diesel where someone had done that and then spent a fortune buying a replacement bogie. I suppose it is up to you, it depends if you ever want to go tender first. 

I have the R.350, in a train set, as well as several other A4's from the early '80's.  All are mint and never been run.

All have the later style metal coupling factory fitted to the front bogie.  The method of attachment was through stamping down the locating lugs on a heavy press.  There was no screw, river or gluing involved.

I have the R.350, in a train set, as well as several other A4's from the early '80's.  All are mint and never been run.

All have the later style metal coupling factory fitted to the front bogie.  The method of attachment was through stamping down the locating lugs on a heavy press.  There was no screw, river or gluing involved.

Yeah, I think that it had been partially filed off! I've refitted the coupling with a dot of glue; It should be able to get it off ok in the future and you can't really tell as the lugs are still there.

Thanks for the advice all!