Buzzing Motor Hornby Select

Steamplug

I'm sure this has probably been answered before but I've searched the forums and could not find anything relevant.

I have decided to set up a small rolling road so I can have a play around with new locos etc away from the railway room.

My setup is simple, 1 Hornby select feeding a 30cm piece of track.

Everything works fine in DCC however I decided to use the 0 address to test a non chipped loco before I added the dcc chip and I get a buzzing noise when no power is applied which reduces as more power is applied so much so I cant hear it anywhere over quarter power.

I decided to test a few locos and get the same on all non DC locos, is this normal and will it damage my locos as I was thinking of using the rolling road to run new locos in on DC before chipping them?

Cheers John

As Rog(RJ) says, the buzzing means that you are overheating the motor coils and will eventually burn out the motor. Even the small print in the Hornby Select manual says that the use of Address Zero DC support is not recommended and in the latest version 2 Select, the feature has been disabled for the reasons given above.

Do yourself a favour and create a simple diagnostic DC Analogue PWM controller for just a few quid using ready built components from eBay. This recent post gives details (page opens directly on my reply that gives the details).

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/further-problems-with-my-standard-class-4-steam-loco/?p=1/#post-344695