RailMaster eLink Throttle Slider problem.

Guest Chrissaf

Hi, I've had eLink for a few years but recently found that I can only select 2 speeds, selected using the > and >> tabs. (i.e. shunt or cruise). The slider doesn't seem to do anything, even though using it indicates different speeds. This applies to ALL of my DCC locos, around 10, of different makes. I' ve also found that I can only set a relatively low top speed since fitting the Hornby sound chip to a Bachmann class 20 even after tinkering with the settings, but can live with that.

What version of RailMaster are you using?

When exactly did this issue start?

Is there some specific event that happened just prior to this issue starting?

[RM update for example ... or new loco added to the roster etc]

Hi, I'm still on Railmaster v.1.72, and noticed the problem a couple of months ago, but was busy with scenery so ignored it. My main layout uses a  windows XP laptop, but I have a second Railmaster, newly registered that I now use on a windows10 laptop, for programming only, with a 'spare' black box from a Western Express set. I've switched the boxes and the problem persists, so is it a problem with my Railmaster installation on my old XP laptop? This old laptop struggles with wifi connectivity which I assume is why I'm still on v.1.72. (Though my windows 10 laptop is also on v.1.72)

The only recent event was the replacement of the DCC components chip with the Hornby sound chip in the Bachmann class 20.

So what happens if you use your recent Win10 installation to control your layout instead of the XP version. Does the issue go away. If it does, then that would prove it is definitely an issue with the 1.72 RailMaster installation on the old XP laptop as you suspect.

If the diagnostic test I have suggested above proves beyond doubt that the issue is with the XP Laptop RM installation, then I suggest you manually update the XP to 1.73 and test again.

Note that RailMaster will not automatically update from 1.72 to 1.73.

1.73 needs to be manually downloaded from the link at the top of the RailMaster forum and manually installed over the top of the 1.72 version. Remember to run the 1.73 installer by 'right clicking' the downloaded installer file and choosing 'Run as administrator'.

Although RM was originally written for XP, it has been modified extensively to get it working with initially W7, then W8 and now W10. Re-installation using this latest 1.73 version may possibly fix it as your symptoms do sound like a possible file corruption issue of some kind.

The 'bite the bullet' solution may require you to delete your locos from your loco roster list and re-add them again from scratch. At least this 'last resort' solution can be tested by just initially trying it out with a single loco to start with. Historically, deleting the locos and re-adding them has been proven to fix other throttle slider related issues. But in the past, users have usually only reported 'throttle slider' issues on one loco at a time, not the whole fleet.

Hi again, I was unable to incorporate the V.1.72 upgrade ('access denied' to some components), so went for deleting v.1.72, and instaling v.1.73 from scratch. Unfortunately the sliders are still inoperative so assume the problem is with XP. I can understand why the focus is now on later Windows versions - not many will still be using XP, but at least I have the option of plugging my W10 laptop in, or using my XP laptop without the sliders, which isn't a major concern, and waiting to see what v.1.74 brings!

Thanks for your attention. I now understand the situation a little better.

Based upon your "access denied" comment I would possibly begin to suspect some corruption in your XP operating system files, given that there would have been no updates or file refreshes in some significant amount of time since XP going 'end of life & obsolete'.