R965 being fussy?

Guest Chrissaf

Your report of the limitation of the R965 is well documented and is normal.........it cannot cope with any loco that consumes a higher current than newish light weight locos.......it will go into overload quite easily......HB

Decided to give my hammant and Morgan stuff a break and connected up an R965 to check out my latest acquisition..an old second hand 08 shunter ( probably an eighties R780). Ran her in (after a very sticky start) on the Clipper/slave setup but some of my old Lima's take off like scalded cats on low resistance. So I pulled out one of my 965's to slow things down. Probl is she seems to be ageist. She'll run Hornby or bachmann locos with can motors post 2000 but older locos just stop after a circuit or so. Remove the old loco, reset and place a new machine on the track and you're good to go. But the power from the r965 stops if I use any old Lima or Hornby loco..including the new one. To be honest I prefer the h&m but I suspect new locos dont like the resistance settings and none of my recent locos sound one bit happy on half wave (so I don't do it). Anyway..any idea what's up with the R965's..both of mine are doing it 

The R965 is a basic 'Train Set' controller included in original early train sets just to get you going after unpacking the box. They're not meant as serious layout DC Analogue controllers.

However that said, many users on this forum use 2, 3 or 4 of them at a time as independent separate loop controllers with some success.

When in good fault free condition, they definitely outperform their later R8250 replacements.

Perhaps it is time to 'bite the bullet' and invest in some modern quality DC Analogue controllers probably using PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) technology outputs.

I see you have tried using the 'blue button' to reply. Using the 'blue button' is really not necessary, particularly when replying to the post directly above. Have a read of TIPs 2 & 3 in my TIPs page which explains how to remove the 'quote' box and buff background colour, just leaving plain black on white text.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

I must admit I liked my H & M until it blew up one of my DCC decoders running in DC mode (I was using it to check out the loco). When I opened it up I was amazed it wasn't in a museum, there were components that I hadn't seen since during my O levels, that is how old they are. Eventually I will take the insides out and replace them with a modern type controller, the box is ok, as are the transformers although I do worry about the earthing seeing as it is a metal box (please don't tell me how to earth it, I know exactly how to). I now use the controller I got with the Pendulino set and yes it is PWM, so the locos buzz a bit, but it so far seems to power all my locos even my old Wrenns, so not such a bad design by Hornby. Sure it trips out occasionally but as I am normally just checking out a loco then no big issue. Sometimes it takes a while to get an an old X04 based loco to go, but generally it gets there.

Thanks for the input guys. Read your tips Chrissaf. Thank you. Yes, the H&M stuff is rugged and hums like a village transformer complex but I don't have resources to go DCC. Two kids in college..I'll hit them for the bill on a man cave when they graduate and get jobs