Pendolino 390 Directional Lights Help Please!

SamHornby

Hi All,

i recently bought a preowned Hornby Pendolino Digital set, it seems to run quite well however having some issues with the lights. The Issue is that both ends are either red or both white. I would assume it should've been one is red and one white as with most trains! 

Has anyone come across this issue or got a suggested fix please? 

You haven't confirmed this, but I assume that only one end of the Pendolino has a motor, but both the motor car and the dummy motor car have a decoder. With the dummy motor car decoder performing the lights function for that car.

So again, you haven't confirmed this, but I assume the front motor car shows white when going forward [if it shows red when going forward, then it is the front motor car decoder that needs adjusting]. So assuming that the rear dummy motor car is also showing white when it should be showing red, then you need to adjust the value of CV29 in the rear dummy motor car decoder to 'reverse the direction' bit in the CV29 byte.

You need to know the current value of CV29 before you can decide whether you add 1 to or deduct 1 from the current CV29 value. This online CV29 calculator will help with the setting of CV29.

http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29%20calculator.htm

Also be aware that some decoders combined with some controllers need the decoder to have a motor load attached to the decoder before it will accept being re-configured. The usual method is to temporarily place the rear decoder in the front motor car socket [temporarily replacing the original decoder] and then re-configure, then return the decoder back to the rear dummy motor car. Followed by returning the original decoder back to the front motor car again. A lot of faffing about and requires the body off both cars. This is where a decoder tester can pay dividends as you can make the changes on the dummy motor car decoder using the tester and leave the front motor car & front decoder intact and untouched. For example an ESU 53900 tester.

Alternative method of correcting lighting.

Put both the powered and non powered (dummy) motor cars on the program track at the same time.  If you are using an Elite or a Select, follow the instructions in the operators manual (user manual) to alter the "default direction" locomotive direction settings to get the lights working correctly in the dummy unit.  Then remove the dummy unit from the programming track and now alter the default direction settings so that the lights are working correctly in the powered unit.

This saves having to swap decoders between dummy and powered units and also avoids having to get involved with CV settings, which many new users find daunting.  I don't know for sure if railmaster can be used in the same manner to do this - I think it can.

Brilliant, thanks both. 

Rog I'll try your method first as sounds a little simpler to carry out however if it doesn't work then Chris, I will definitely try your method. The issue is that I don't know too much about the electronics but was bought as part of the old Pendelino Digital set that Hornby made, so would assume two decoders but only one power car as is all factory fitted. 

The best way that I can explain it is that the train gets confused which way it's going. will try running them individually - Dummy won't go anywhere but lights should still work, to see which car it is that's playing up. 

Search the forum using the single word 'pantograph'. Single word search terms work best in this forums search engine.

Questions relating to these as spares come up quite often.

Just noting Chris's and Rog's method are effectively the same, just implemented slightly differently (when you change the defsult direction, the controller changes the value of CV29 for you.

And Rog's method will only work as described if both decoders are set to the same loco address or ID. This is the most common way of setting up decoders in power and dummy cars (same address) but some people give them different addresses so they have independent control of front and rear lights.