What am I missing here

Guest Chrissaf

Many Hornby decoders in factory fitted locos now leave the factory with 'DC Operation' disabled. Particularly, Hornby TTS locos and sound decoders. This is because the Hornby decoders seem to be more prone to being affected by 'DC Runaway' than others and disabling 'DC Operation' can solve that problem.

You can reinstate 'DC operation' by making the appropriate changes to CV29 [see the online calculator for details]. But be aware, that if you do re-enable this feature, you might experience 'DC Runaway' which is effectively going from the 'frying pan to the fire'.

PS - Hornby factory fitted TTS decoders now have 'DC Operation' factory disabled for the reason given above. But this was an easy decision choice for Hornby to make because TTS sound will not function on DC power. Thus Hornby assume that nobody would want to run a TTS loco on a DC layout, which of course includes a 9 volt battery.

Hello.

I maybe missing something obvious but don't know what it could be.

I can run all my locos with a 9v battery on the wheels except the two with Hornby decoders. What is going on here please?