Javelin Bargain

ColinB

The cheaper version of the Javelin certainly misses:

• an extra coach (comes with only 1 coach whereas more expensive version comes with 2)
  • headlights and rear lights
  • A cheaper motor (very jumpy, drives me crazy)
  • Not DCC Ready as stated wrongly by some catalogs, in fact the cheaper train is analog with no socket

Unless Aldi are misrepresenting the train by showing lights on the box illustration and referring to that feature twice in the product description and unless the model has been downgraded since the issue of service sheet 357B, running lights are incorporated.  Unlike the Javelin, none of the vehicles in the Blue Rapier have interiors fitted. 

Unless Aldi are misrepresenting the train by showing lights on the box illustration

Sorry if I was a bit vague.

The Detailed model has the headlights as follows:

[TOP HEADLIGHT]

[left HEAD ONLY]             [right HEAD ONLY]

where top headlight was incorrectly placed on some earlier illutstrations of the set; top headlight being emitted from the cheaper model.

No rear reversing lights.

I have to be careful before the Hornby lovers start on me. I am really surprised,I would have thought it would have cost more to take that stuff out (surprisingly it used to, in certain cars I worked on). To not be "DCC ready" is criminal, I can forgive them for the lights and not putting a DCC socket in the dummy. I am sure the motor must be the same, you must just have a bad one.  Hornby only have a finite number of options that fit. I nearly bought one, it was only I didn't want all the other bits and I already have the Olympic games one. Surely it must have one DCC socket? Mind you Hornby are missing a trick, they could sell the interiors like Triang used to do in the sixties. A DCC socket has got be to Hornby, less than 50p, they already have the wiring to the motor so not a big deal, surely it would be worth it, for all those decoder and DCC sales in the future.

Trouble is this is all what business used to do in the 80's and 90's when they could get away with it, I think times have changed and all it gets you is very many bad posts on social media when the Customer finds out.

With these accusations of ‘criminal not to be dcc ready‘ etc just take note of when these sets were issued. The Blue Rapier was a toy train set, with a sole headlight and no tail lights, blacked out windows with no internal detail and toy train couplings. The Aldi set is likely old or similar to Blue Rapier stock reboxed for toy sales in a supermarket.

Argos and other stores have the same low cost train set reboxing marketing systems.

The later Olympic, etc Javelin DCC Ready set had proper couplings, clear windows showing internal detail, full lighting including the hi-level Cyclops lamp.

You are trying to compare apples and pears with these various sets. 

The earlier sets are simple to convert as seen here ...

http://www.halton96th.org.uk/article9.html

/media/tinymce_upload/c47ea9a257492d2eff75fd111d996a25.jpg

Sorry, I thought "DCC Ready" was the modern standard, yes if I had bought it 5 years ago then perhaps not. Currently the only mainline locos Hornby do that aren't DCC ready are their 0-4-0s. I must admit I looked at it and thought if was the normal Loco, missing one carriage, hence why I thought it was a bargain. A lot of the people buying this will be thinking like me, the HST variants they produced last Christmas had one DCC socket, they had cost reduced by not including one in the dummy. So let us think about the child that had a "Select set" bought for them last year and suddenly finds his new lastest set isn't up to the latest specification. One upset customer.

As for they are easy to convert, one look at the posts on this website, to someone like you surely it is obviously that not everyone can do that. 

@ Rana :- That's funny...

I doubt very much if the Javelin goes Choo-choo as Aldi seem to think it does.

I agree with you - I've never seen or heard a Diesel Loco go 'Choo-choo'!!!  😆

Also @ the bottom of the page you can buy the 'Hornby - The Wanderer Train Set' for £79.99 each - now this Loco CAN go 'Choo-choo'!!!

https://www.aldi.co.uk/hornby-the-wanderer-train-set/p/708252431276701

R1240

I am sure the motor must be the same, you must just have a bad one.  

Hmm, maybe. I don't know anyone else with the model but I would have thought if it was a bad one, at least one of the units with electronics would have some form of socket.

Surely it must have one DCC socket? 

My layout's DCC. I can say that I did wire a socket into the train since there was none present. Its a relatively easy conversion given the solder connection points on the PCB.

very many bad posts on social media when the Customer finds out.

Many of the social media posts have been good. I think since a more-detailed model was available most with existing DCC layouts went for the detailed version (which had a socket), hence not may actually needed to use the railroad version on DCC