Elite R8214 V1.45 update

JoshyP

Afternoon all, 

Im currently in the middle of trying to update a Hornby Elite R8124 to V1.45 for someone who isn't very tech savvy (and it turns out, I'm not either!)

After continously getting the "Error in comms" and "Update fail!" yesterday, I had to give in.However, when the owner tried to use it again, it turns out the Elite is now bricked and just shows a blank screen. From reading the forums it looks like it will need to have the firmware rolled back, but I can't find a download link to roll it back anywhere. 

I was just wondering if anyone on here has managed to fix a bricked Elite and their method of doing it? Spent hours trawling the forums and nothing seems to be working

Thanks!

First of all. If you can't successfully update the 1.45 firmware, then a lower revision level will not install either. The Elite firmware update methodology doesn't work the same way that some other products work that support 'roll back'.

As it is bricked, can we assume that the Elite Windows driver has been installed. If it hadn't been previously installed then it should not be possible to brick the Elite.

The Elite V1.45 update will work if you follow the guidance on this forum [rather than the Hornby documentation] to the absolute letter and follow each and every step exactly as written.

The threads you need to follow are [look for my posts & replies in the 1st thread]:

Updating Elite firmware [written for Ver1.43 but still the same for current version]

https://uk.hornby.com/community/forum/updating-firmware-on-the-elite

Alternative Elite firmware update method if documented method fails [see reply by Peter Rowney – 2nd post up from the bottom of PAGE 2 the link below will take you page 1].

https://uk.hornby.com/community/forum/elite-bricked/?p=2/#post-264669

• 4 months later...

This thread is a historical thread that pre-dates the current new replacement forum. All the historical links that originate from the previous forum threads are currently broken and are part of the forum developers planned work to implement a global fix.

In the meantime, I have manually corrected the links in the post as an edit and tested them to now be working.

I have also performed the same manual hyperlink edits on pages that link subsequently from the fixed links above.

Note that all historical supporting images in these old threads are also still missing and their transfer from the previous forum to this one is still a 'work in progress' and delayed due to technical issues.