M7

Cackey

I was surprised when my M7 DCC fitted refused to work. As it was some time since it was last used I 1st tried reprogramming it with the same code as before, which was 5 on my Select controller,without success. So I took the loco apart very carefully and

after some close examination discovered a wire had become detached on the socket, due to poor initial soldering at the factory. No problem or so I thought, because after soldering it back in it's correct place and putting it back on the layout before reassembly

it still wouldn't work. I then read on previous forum searches that this particular model has a history of decoder problems, so I replaced it with a completely new one without much trouble, put it back on the programming track and attempted to allocate it

code 5 yet again, still no joy, then remembered that 3 is the default code, so tried this and was amazed as it worked this time. I decided to allocate a completely different code to it and chose 18 which it now works fine as. I fail to believe the 5 button

on the controller is at fault as another loco allocated code 15 works perfectly and also points using 5 as the second digit. Perhaps there was never anything wrong with the original decoder apart from the loose connection and I should have changed the locos

allocation of 5 at this time instead of going to all this extra effort! Any ideas out there?
Cackie

Archived