Help with Lima ringfield problem

Barry61

Hi,

I have encountered a problem with my W22 Railcar motor. It will not start from stationary but a little nudge on the small gear and it runs perfectly fast and slow. However when it comes to a stop once again it will not move without a prod! any help gratefully received,

Regards,

Barry ( new member )

Whilst you wait for a reply, perhaps you would spend a few minutes reviewing the TIPs in the TIP page link below:

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Welcome to the forum.

Assuming all bearings, gears, etc. are clean & lubricated and the brushes & springs are in good condition, a motor needing a 'nudge' to get it going normally means one of the armature windings has failed.  If you have a multimeter, you can check this.  If not, it would be worth having the motor checked out by a model shop who may then be able to effect repairs.  An alternative would be to replace the complete chassis with a more modern Hornby chassis (motors by themselves are not interchangeable between Lima and Hornby).

The first thing I think of with this problem is dirt on the track or wheels, then dirt on the commutator or brushes, then worn brushes. I'm assuming DC control? You might get a better response with a PWM controller or if you want to stick with the one you have and the Lima motor has developed a fault try one of the CD motor remotorising kits You can get online. 

I bought this recently as a non runner and have serviced and lubricated all parts. The commutator does have many surface scratches, the brushes and springs are ok and overall it looks in good condition. Are used commutators/armatures available at all?

Thanks for all replies,

Barry

I assume this is a 3 pole motor. Have you checked you have a resistance measurement between adjacent segments on the commutator, indicating that all the coils of the motor are connected. I found with the Hornby ringfield motor it is critical that the circular magnet is in the right position. If it is not in the right position the motor doesn't run evenly backwards and forwards.