Auto Reverse Loop Module

HJL

I am new to DCC but so far I think I understand most of the technical side and had no problem to set up Locos and  Points using appropriate Decoders etc and even converted several old DC locos by hard wiring of decoder and a Turntable.

I am now looking at a reverse loop and  have a question about R8238 module to interface with an Elite Controler. I see that the module is no longer available and used a relay to switch current and, from my background would understand these contacts could weld or not make over a period of time.

I am therefore interested in any alternative solid state product. However, I appreciate the Elite overload circuit will operate in milleseconds and any switching module would have to act faster or Elite wold cut power first.

Could you point me in th edirection of a module that would suit and operate with reliability.

Many thanks,

HJL

Read my 'Reverse Loop Module' tutorial. Section 7.0 detail products that were available at the time of the document creation [2 years ago]. Most of which [if not all] are still available today.

You can download the document on this link.

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/7g88A308Mz

When the page above opens, tick the checkbox next to the file name and a 'download button' should appear. Personally, I use the Tam Valley listed product as an alternative to the obsolete Hornby R8238. It works flawlessly with my Elite and 4 amp power supply using the 1.7 amp trigger current setting. The Tam Valley is totally 'solid state' with no moving parts.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Many thanks Chrissof for your response I

I came back to my PC after a long phone call and all the relevant information was there!

You must have put in a tremendous effort to this Tutorial and really appreciate the drawings and schematics they are worth a thousand words!

I have been really impressed by the collective replies some of you experts give and I have learnt much  from many of the links and articles. I now have some reading to do to confirm my understanding of the subject and for the options of solid state modules that are available and interface  with the Elite.

Again many thanks to you and your expert colleagues.

HJL

Hi

Any solid state (Non relay) reverse loop module should work with the Elite's 4.0 Amp PSU. Some (if not all?) are trip current adjustable too

The most important things to remember with and reverse loop are 1)  The the whole longest ever train (Loco and all carriages or wagons) MUST fit inside the loop. That is between entrance IRJs and the exit IRJs. and 2) No other DCC feeds must be connected to the reverse loop rails, other than the Output of the RLM.

Just a note to thank you all for your advice I have just fitted the solid state auto reverser  and am really impessed with the seamless transition from one phased track to that out of phase via the isolated track and DCC reverser.

I am sure I will return to this forum as I continue on my DCC journey.

Again many thanks

HJL