Hammant and Morgan controllers

96RAF

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit that i used H&M powermasters for years having had my original since about 1959-60 but a few years ago,it finally gave up the ghost,the cutout wouldn`t stay in and it eventually blew the rectifier and possibly,the transformer.I still use an H&M 2 1/2 A scalextric power supply forthe odd circuit around the layout but we chose Trax controllers over Gaugemaster as Trax supply 1 1/2 amp against Gaugemasters 1 amp and you need a bit of amperage for one of these.forum_image_63b611cbbfdad.thumb.png.c5448970be6de5ac0c32bab0786f94ed.png

• 8 months later...

The manufacturers that use coreless motors, advise against feedback controllers as they are known to damage these motors.

Similarly manufacturers that include sensitive electronic circuits in their models, advise against Duette/Clipper (and other similar age/design controllers) because they don’t include voltage smoothing, and the spikes they can produce are known to be over 3x the maximum voltage these circuit components can tolerate.

There is nothing wrong with using these controllers appropriately - to control trains that have similarly basic motors/components!

However anyone who disregards manufacturer advice, or who mixes sensitive technology with inappropriate power sources, at best risks damage to their models, and at worst risks causing fire/injury/death. How foolish to suggest that incompatibility warnings & advice are ‘bad-mouthing’! 🙄🤦‍♂️

Edit: caught out by first post repetition on an old thread - however rebuttal is still potentially useful, for those unwilling to wade back through several pages!

p.s. I do realise that this thread was not actually started by the person it is attributed to - caused by a bug in the forum’s latest iteration.