Traction Tyres - Class 156 Settle / Carlisle

Skier

Hi All

I am being driven mad by what is probably one of the simplest tasks - for the life of me I can not fit new traction tyres to my Class 156.  There is just not enough room to get fingers / tools into the space between the wheel and the frame to get the tyre all the way round the wheel.  

I have consulted the service sheet which offers me no guidance - there has to be an easy way of doing this !!

Thanks

Martin

The motor/gears housing clips in to the front and rear crossmembers of the bogie frame.  By gently prising one of those crossmembers outwards, the bogie frame should fall away.  This then releases the wheelsets.  When reassembling, take care to ensure the pick-ups relocate correctly behind the wheels. 

Many thanks for your response.

I can see that the bogie frame does appear to clip up into the bottom of the motor housing but I still can't work out where to gently insert a screwdriver or the like to prise it away.

Please can you advise further.

Many thanks

You need to release a lug from its slot: the inner end will be easier as there is no coupling mount.  A small screwdriver blade inserted immediately above the lug should enable you to lever the top part of the bogie crossmember outwards and down over the lug.  If you can't gain access to do that, it will probably mean taking the bogie out of the chassis which in turn may necessitate taking the body off the chassis.  Carefully slide a thin blade between the bottom of the body side and the chassis to release the eight clips shown on the service sheet (4 each side).  Then you will have access to the split clip by which the bogie hangs from the raised portion of the chassis frame.  It may be necessary to squeeze the prongs together to pull the clip downwards through the chassis frame.