Pendolino Pantograph [spares]

Guest Chrissaf

They haven't properly produced a Pendolino for about 5 years which may be why. We are getting a new Pendolino spring next year which supposedly to Hattons has the exact same tooling. This would probably be our only chance to get one but it is unlikely. Unlike some of the other Pendolino models produced this is not being sold in a set which could hint that it is for delicate collectors only, therefore eliminating the need for a spare part.

There are loads of posts on this forum relating to spare Pantographs (lack of). Some give sources for alternative equivalents.

There are also loads of posts bemoaning the Hornby 'spares' situation (lack of).

Use the "Search Forums" box and search for the term "pantograph" without the " " marks.

/media/tinymce_upload/de303c1dff063263091da9afd73a217a.jpg

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

I frequently complain about this, try getting a base plate for a 0-6-0. I don't know if it is improving a bit, I did manage to get a whole powered bogie for a class 66, which I was amazed about. Just as a comparison, my Bachmann Sir Nigel Gresley broke a part of its valve gear, it has got to be 20 to 30 years old, but I have converted it to DCC, it runs well and is reasonably well detailed. Anyway, I thought no chance of getting spares, so I mailed Bachmann just in case. Surprise, surprise they had the parts and apologised that they didn't have many spare parts for those models left.The thing that really annoys me about Hornby is that they don't keep spares of the things that they know will break (eg) pickups, valve gear, couplings on Pendulinos. The trouble is if you cannot fix the old ones their resale value will eventually plumet.

I did get some plastic Hornby single arm pantographs once which i think were pendolino spares. They were definitely not the ones of the class 90 or 91. They were rubbish. I bought them as a make do for a Jouef French single arm loco but then managed to find a damaged body with good pantographs and swapped them over. There may still be some available on eBay or such like. 

The only plastic operating but obviously not conducting pantograph I know of was produced for the class 92 and had a metal contact bar.  It was offered, if I remember correctly, with each loco as an alternative to the factory-fitted X8013 metal one as fitted to later 86s plus 90s and 91s.  Set 91s carried a different plastic pantograph moulded in the lowered position.