Best TTS decoder for a dc Hornby Class 25 conversion to DCC

jujuchocho

Hi there, first post on the forum.

As far as i'm Hornby don't make a TTS decoder for the class 24/25 models and I want to convert a favourite DC train of mine. Can anyone recommend or suggest a TTS decoder that would be close alternative for me to use? Loksound make them but I dont really want to purchase and chop around a £120 decoder so id like to atempt this conversion with a cheaper TTS.  I've also noticed that the Hornby decoders are becoming a bit thin on the ground at the moment but any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you  

Whilst you wait for a reply, perhaps you would spend a few minutes reviewing the TIPs in the TIP page link below:

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum. TIPs include 'How to post images' and 'How to make links clickable'.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

There's a very good video on U-tube about converting the Class 25 to dcc, I used it when I converted mine, but didn't put a sound chip in. You may find that any tts decoder might not be happy with the current draw of the old motor. I wired in a harness as there's plenty of room, then you wouldn't have to chop up an expensive decoder. I used a Zen Blue which seems to handle the current ok.

Hope this helps

Daryl

I would endorse that about TTS decoder and current. Once I found out that they had a current limit, so I knew it wouldn't blow up I decided to put one in my Lima class 66. It kept stopping and starting as it hit supposely the current limit. It must have been that as when I put back the original decoder (not Hornby as I needed a higher current limit) it went back to working perfectly ok. I did put one in a 5 pole ringfield based HST but that failed due to overheating. So if it is not a modern loco with a low current motor, I would forget TTS.

If you do want to go with sound then you can get Zimo sound decoders for less than £100 and CoastalDCC do LokSound decoders for considerable less than the £120. There are alo a load of generic ones that are about £75.

There's a very good video on U-tube about converting the Class 25 to dcc, I used it when I converted mine, but didn't put a sound chip in. You may find that any tts decoder might not be happy with the current draw of the old motor. I wired in a harness as there's plenty of room, then you wouldn't have to chop up an expensive decoder. I used a Zen Blue which seems to handle the current ok.

Hope this helps

Daryl

Thank you and sorry for late reply. I will search for that Class 25 Utube video. I've orderd a class 47 TTS chip to convert my Dc hornby class 47. Following a U tube video for instructions however the guy is using a lima 47 not Hornby but it cant be that diffent.