Fitting DCC chip

Rspltd

I am trying to fit a chip to Duchess of Sutherland 6233. I have established that the one track feed is fed from the locomotive driving wheels via the copper coupling but am struggling with the other feed. The central wheel on the tender seems to have a direct connection to the LH motor connection via the inside of the motor (I haven't tried to dismantle this) and this in turn seems to connect  through the motor casing behind the LH spade lug. If my assumption is corrent it would seem that I would have to  isolate behind the  left hand spade lug and make my red chip attachment there and then orange onto the front motor connection which connects to the brushes .Am I on the right lines? 

If you are describing a loco with a 'Ringfield' motor, then there are different Ringfield variants each with their own conversion technique.

Follow this link to this website and scroll down to the 'Ringfield' section and try and identify which 'Ringfield', if you have one, that you have. If you don't have a 'Ringfeild' then wait for others that know your loco model to answer.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum. TIPs include 'How to post images' and 'How to make links clickable'.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

You certainly seem to be describing a Ringfield motor with the LH brush holder connected to chassis and thence to the non-insulated wheels.  The giveaway is there is a wire from the pickups to the RH brush holder but not to the left.  And the problem - you must break this connection to chassis or the decoder will blow instantly on power-up. 

Chris's link gives you all the info you need for identifying and fixing the problem (replace screw with nylon type).  Colin may also give you his variant on a fix.