I think DCC Sound is awful - am I alone in this?

samfieldhouse

I have several "sound" loco's, but only have the sound on if the grandchildren are visiting.

The TTS sound, as has been said, can be improved with a change of speaker. I did this with my Class 66, and it sounds very good (For comparison I have the real thing at the bottom of the roadgrinning).

I suppose each to their own. I have very many locos fitted with TTS sound, admittedly I generally use a different speaker, but they sound ok to me. I must admit the diesels sound better. Considering a standard decoder costs about £20 and some TTS decoders on discount are as low as £30, the TTS decoder is good value for money. I have a few Zimo sound decoders and a couple of locos fitted with the the LokSound decoders, I must admit that they are streets ahead of the TTS, but they are nearly 3 times the price.

For me sound is the added dimension to my layout that I have built from scratch. The trains run through the scenery with the sound off and after a while it's a train running through the scenery. Turn the sound on and IT'S A TRAIN running through the scenery. The ability to make it sound like it's working hard or just coasting, sounding the whistle/horn as it enters/leaves a station or tunnel adds a lot to the moment.

To me it depends on what your railway layout is, just rails on the floor or the complete setup with full scenery.

All who visit mine love it especially when the room is darkened, the layout houses, stations and street lights are on and the trains can be heard running.

I have a Loksound Class 20 that was re-blown by Howes. Two A4s with TTS but with sugar cube speakers, a Castle with TTS but sugar cube speaker and a Class 121 with Marktrains Soundscape sound decoder. On all, the sound levels are turned down not on full.

Enjoy your layout it's yours after all.