ROCO Loco .... DCC ?

Guest Chrissaf

Just to provide some clarity.

DCC decoders are fitted to a DC Analogue locomotive. Although DCC has an alternating voltage, it is not AC as used by some Euro locomotives. DCC is Bi-Polar in a special squarewave waveform that contains DCC Digital information embedded in it. The AC motors used by some of the Euro locomotives are Analogue and not Digitial. A Euro AC locomotive will not work with a traditional DCC powered layout, unless you have a special Decoder that converts DCC to AC motor control, and I am not sure if these are made or not. Buying a DC Analogue locomotive fitted with a normal DCC Decoder for use with a Prodigy DCC system is the safer option.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum. TIPs include 'How to post images' and 'How to make links clickable'.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Hi guys, 

I am thinking about investing in a roco locomotive and I am unsure if I should get the AC version or the DC version. In addition to this, I have a Gaugemaster prodigy controller and I am unsure if it is DC or AC.

Yours,

Elias

@eli jelli

I would suggest you only buy an AC locomotive if you have an AC model railway, you intend to buy an AC model railway or you have a DC model railway and intend to convert the model to DC. If you intend to convert the model then establish from Roco's website what parts are different between the AC and DC versions and if these are available as spares. 

I have done this with a Hornby Electrotren EMU but only did so because I could not find the DC version and really wanted the model. Before buying the model I made sure I could get the parts I needed as the conversion involved changing all the wheels.

It has not been mentioned above that Roco AC models work on a 3 rail system and won't work on Hornby style track DCC or not. They collect power from a centre rail or line of studs via the skate as shown in my link above.

@ Chrissaf

The ESU lokpilot in the Electrotren EMU I converted works for both DCC and the Marklin system. The model also has the same motor in both the AC and DC versions so some types of decoders and motors will work with both set ups. 

You'll understand the technical stuff better than me. I was just happy I didn't have to replace the decoder......

Basically the AC version runs on 16 volt AC current and the DC one runs on 12 volt DC. Do not even think about converting a AC loco to DC the costs are prohobitive. All locos either AC or DC require a chip to make them DCC.Your best bet would be to contact a good retailer.